Chapter 6

"Is everything OK," Maya asked me when she saw the look on my face, after I had read the message from Jared.

"No, nothing's OK," I sighed and leaned my head against the back of the seat, closing my eyes for a moment.

"What happened," she was a bit worried.

"Jared just texted me," I whispered and looked at Rachel, making sure she wouldn't hear me.

"Wow, he's apparently interested in you," Maya nodded and smiled, starting to prepare her headphones to listen to music. Rachel took her headphones and turned the music on, so now Maya and I were able to speak normally.

"That's not a good thing. He's not supposed to do that... Plus, how on Earth did he get my..." at one moment as I was speaking, I looked at Maya and by her body language, I could tell she was hiding something, "..phone number," I finished, crossed my arms over my chest and turned to face her.

She was silent, kept her head down and took her phone to play music.

"Maya," I said and expected her to look at me.

"Hmmm," she played dumb and didn't look at me.

"How DID Jared get my phone number," I asked even though I already knew the answer.

"I told you that man is more resourceful than CIA," she still couldn't look me in the eye.

"Yeah, especially when he knows which source of information to turn to," I said and raised my eyebrow.

Maya was again quiet, and now I got even more pissed off. I kept staring at her, and when she got uncomfortable enough, she finally snapped.

"Fine! OK, I gave him your number! Happy?" she said and spread her arms.

"No Maya, I'm not happy, I thought that was perfectly clear by the way I just reacted to his message. I was finally relieved when we got on the plane, hoping I'd never have to hear or see Jared again, and then he texts me," I was so upset I almost yelled so loud that Rachel took her headphones off.

"Whoa, Nicole, shush, I can hear you over the music. What's the big fuss about," Rachel asked worryingly and looked around to see if people were looking at us. She hated scenes, and I was close to making one.

"Nothing ... just... Nothing," I huffed, turned back to lean in my seat. 

I took my phone and texted Lucas that we're about to take off, and he replied he'll wait for us at the airport. I really missed him, he was the only safe place I have right now, and I couldn't wait to see him.

Maya, Rachel and I kept silent for the entire flight. I was so mad at Maya that I didn't want to start the enormous fight in front of all these people, and just cause a scene, for nothing. Not to mention that Rachel would probably slap Maya right in the face, if she'd know that Jared got my phone number thanks to her. So, it was the best thing to just keep quiet for those couple of hours in air.

"There's my gorgeous man," I said happily running towards Lucas the moment I spotted him waiting for me at the exit of an airport.

He looked so handsome in that black dress up shirt, lightweight jeans and that sexy three-day beard. I always loved his dark hair and that short sexy beard. He didn't always grow it out, but I guess these few days he didn't care much about shaving. I was so excited to be with him again. His smile made my heart so warm and the moment I landed to his embrace, I felt like home. I wrapped my arms around him and leaned my head against his chest, squeezing him tightly.

"Whoa, somebody missed me," he chuckled kissing the top of my head, feeling my head nodding; I took a deep breath taking in his scent, I wasn't ready to let go yet, "Hey, hey, hey, I missed you too, baby", he said rubbing my back.