Chapter 12

Jared's POV

"Who were you talking to?" Nicole suddenly showed up behind me while I was trying to wrap my head around what happened 10 minutes ago.

Mikaela dropped this pregnancy bomb on me, and left me completely baffled. All I could do was promise her we'll talk later, so she could get out of the room as fast as possible. This couldn't be true. I've finally had Nicole with me, and this was supposed to be the best trip of our lives. I had no idea if Mikaela was telling the truth about me being the father of the baby, so we definitely needed to talk things through, and thoroughly.

"Um... nobody," Nicole frowned obviously hearing me and Mikaela, "Just Emma..." I lied so viciously, but I couldn't let this night get ruined for Nicole as well, "She just came by to let me know about tomorrow. Nothing major," I said and came closer to Nicole, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her close to me. Her head rested on my chest and I hugged her tight, taking a deep breath. This felt amazing; I needed her more and more each day.

"You seem... different," Nicole lifted her head up to me, looked me in the eyes, and squinted as if she knew I was hiding something from her.

She was so intuitive; I just hoped I could use my acting skills this time, to keep the pregnancy horror at bay for as long as possible. I hated lying to Nicole, but until I was sure Mikaela is carrying my child, I wasn't gonna put Nicole through the pain and suffering, because I know that would completely shatter her, and the moment couldn't be worse. With the wedding runaway, and all this mess with our love story, the last thing she needed was to think that she left Lucas only to run into arms of a father-to-be.

"I'm just happy we're finally all alone," I smiled and kissed her forehead.

"So am I," she closed her eyes and smiled as if this was her safest place in the world.

We were wrapped in each other's arms for a while before we went to bed. Even though we've spent almost the entire afternoon sleeping, somehow that was exactly what we both needed again. We didn't fall asleep immediately, but just laid in bed enjoying our little nest. Nicole's head rested on my chest, as my arms were tightly pressing her against my body. I acted so protective, that I feared she might suspect something. It's like my body was telling her that I needed her by my side now more than ever, and that I cannot lose her.

Nicole's POV

I woke up the next morning in the same position I had fallen asleep the night before. My body closely pressed to Jared's, my head on his chest moving in the rhythm of his slow breathing and the beating of his heart making the most beautiful symphony to my ears. This felt so good I couldn't stop thinking if I was dreaming, or it was actually a reality. I was afraid to move a muscle so I wouldn't break this magical moment of intimacy. A couple of seconds later Jared murmured something, and cleared his throat, which was a clear sign he's almost awake. I looked up and saw him frowning slightly as if his nose was itching. I trailed kisses over his collarbone, and went down bit by bit, making sure he is awake.

"Wide awake, are we," he said through a smile, patting my head, "Did you sleep well?"

"Amazing. It was the best night in my life. I thought it might not even be real," I couldn't hide the happiness from my face, as I sat up not taking my eyes of Jared.

"Oh baby, it's very real," Jared lifted himself a bit so he could kiss my nose. He was so sweet and I wished for every morning to be just like this. He sat up, hugged me again and sighed deeply. I could feel his thoughts weren't really here for a moment, and that sort of disturbed me.

"Is everything OK?" I looked him concerned snapping him from his thoughts.

"Mhm, of course... perfect... everything is perfect," he tried to reassure me, but I was still not convinced.