Chapter 21

Nicole's POV

Buzz, buzz

Half awake I started patting my hands over the nightstand searching for my cell-phone that was ringing off the hook.

"What?!" with half-sleepy voice I barely succeeded to say a word, furious at whoever was waking me up.

"Um... sorry for waking you up... at 11 a.m. but I just wanted to see if we're on for today," Maya said almost chuckling, and I immediately jumped off the bed.

"11 o'clock... What the..." I was shocked at how I was able to sleep in, "umm... yes. One o'clock at our restaurant?"

"OK, see you then," Maya said officially, probably realizing she shouldn't have reacted the way she did. We were not friends anymore, and she acted as if she was allowed to tease me even just a little.

Dropping the phone on my bed, I pressed my temples, trying to figure out how I fell asleep so hard. Looking through the room, I saw a bottle of pills lying on my nightstand. I must've taken a few pills more than I was prescribed, and now here we are. I was dealing with some serious case of insomnia lately, and I thought sleeping pills will help me fall asleep, but not knock me out for more than 12 hours.

Luckily, it was Saturday, and I wasn't going to work, otherwise I'd have some serious explaining to do. It's enough that probably the entire company knows about me and Lucas, and the last thing I needed was to add another scandal to my resume.

Picking myself up, I went to the bathroom and I wasn't the least pleased with what I saw in the mirror. My dark circles were really on a roll, and my face was pale as if I haven't seen the light of day in a year. After washing my face, I took a long shower and washed my hair to help me get back to life. This was one of the longest sleeps I've had in ages, and it didn't feel as good as I thought it would. Nevertheless, I needed to look decent and act as if I was feeling amazing, because the conversation Maya and I were about to have is going to be anything but easy.

Jared's POV

Knock, knock

"Come in!"

"Hey bro, you're not sleeping yet?" Shannon walked into my room, looking all mysterious.

"No, I can't fall asleep," I said and exhaled, "I've been trying to take my mind off  that paparazzo shots that were taken today and that girl hugging me...so I took a few selfies for Snapchat... but it's not working... nothing can keep me from tormenting myself with what Nicole might think when she sees the pics."

"I saw your Snapchat, that's why I came by

"I saw your Snapchat, that's why I came by. You didn't look so well, and I knew something was bothering you. I figured you'd be concerned about that. Are the pictures online yet?"

I just nodded, pressing my lips together.

"That's not good. Has Nicole texted you anything? Do you think she saw it?"