Chapter 10

"Yes, mom, I'm fine... No... I know, and I'm sorry but I just couldn't do it. Plus, you told me it was better to end it before the marriage..." I have been talking to my mom for about 10 minutes now, and all I hoped for was that she doesn't feel sick again and that her heart can handle all of this.

"Yes, I know I probably shouldn't have done it like that, but what's done is done." I said and stopped pacing across Jared's living room to sit down on the floor and lean my back against the wall.

My mom just kept telling me that I should have done it in a more gentle way and that she's seriously concerned about Lucas, because nobody saw him after he came after me once I had stormed out of the venue.

"He's a big boy, I'm sure he just went somewhere to clear his head. I'll talk to you later, now I need to get some rest."

I hung up and buried my face into my knees hugging them around with my arms. Sitting on the floor with million thoughts running through my mind, I felt like the biggest traitor in the world. I knew I've done the right thing, because deceiving Lucas by marrying him would be even worse than leaving him at the altar.

"Hey, hey, hey..." my thoughts were interrupted by Jared's voice, "You're not crying are you?" He entered a room carrying my bag, and knelt in front of me, putting the luggage on the floor.

"No, I' was just thinking..." I gave him a little smile and caressed his cheek for being so considerate all the time.

"Good, I couldn't stand seeing you in tears," he said kindly and kissed my forehead.

"Don't worry, I don't feel like crying at all," I got off the floor, "But I do feel like changing into something more... um .., " I looked at my wedding dress and waved my head, "Well, less glamorous," I said through a chuckle, and picked up my bag off the floor to put on something other than my wedding gown.

I picked out a denim shorts and a crochet lace black top, and started to undress in the living room when I heard a disturbing knock on the front door.

"Who could that be? I didn't hear the intercom," I was in my underwear when Jared went towards the door to open it, so I moved away a bit that,whoever was at the door, couldn't see me.

"It's probably just the gardener," Jared said nonchalantly and opened the door.

"You son of a bitch!" I heard a familiar male voice followed by a punch and a fall.
I quickly ran towards the door just in my bra and shorts, that I didn't even have the chance to zip up.

"Jared! Oh my God are you OK?" He was on the floor with a cut lip, and Lucas was standing above him ready to finish what he started.

As Lucas reached for Jared, I instinctively pushed him away.

"What do you think you're doing?" I was so upset I thought I could kill Lucas.

"I could ask you the same thing. How could you do this to me? Leave me like that? Embarrass and humiliate me in front if all our family and friends?"

Lucas was furious and ready for some serious fight. His tie loosened up, jacket off and his shirt sleeves rolled up, with the hair all messed up, the man actually looked like he was ready to step inside the boxing ring.

"And you're all set to jump right into his bed, aren't you?" Lucas said looking at me wearing just a bra and shorts, and flicked on the strap making it clasp against my arm. That really took me by surprise. Never have I ever seen that much anger and pain in his eyes. I expected him to feel all that, but to show up here like this? That I did not see coming.