Chapter 20

Jared's POV

Jared, how was your flight? How long are you staying in London? Are you and Nicole getting married soon? — The Heathrow airport was crammed with reports, and I had no idea how they knew that we were just making a pit stop at London, on our way to Russia. The last hour of our flight was more than turbulent, and for a minute there, we didn't think things will go that well. Thanks to the experienced pilot, we managed to land safely, with only a few bumps down the road, but it would be an understatement if I'd say we were only scared. For the first time ever, I had my entire life flash before my eyes, and at that moment the only person on my mind was Nicole. Not having her beside me was the worst and the best thing at the same time. As much as I wanted to spend this petrifying moment with her, I was glad that she wasn't coming along after all, because I'd be more scared for her life than for my own.

We entered the vehicle quickly and were headed to the hotel, to relax and calm down a little before tomorrow's flight. We were only supposed to spend a few hours at the airport, before boarding to the next flight to Moscow, but the latest event had us change our mind and spend the night in London.

"I have to call Nicole," I said and reached for my phone, only to see that it's turned off. The damn battery must've run out while we were flying, and now nobody could reach me. Mom must've been terrified if she dialled me, and got the unavailable message.

"Shit! Does anyone have a charger at hand?" I asked but they all waved their heads in denial.

"Sorry, bro, mine's in my suitcase, but you can use my phone," Shannon said offering me his phone to use.

"No, that's OK, I'll call her when we arrive at the hotel. But you call mom and let her know we'll stay here, so she doesn't run into some of the gossip online," I asked Shannon, anxious for us to finally reach the hotel so I could talk to Nicole.

Coming to my room, the first thing I did was take my charger out of my luggage, which I have no idea why I had put there in the first place. Turning my phone on, I saw more than 20 text messages, countless missed calls and a packed voice mailbox. When I saw that one of them was from Nicole, my heart skipped a beat. I immediately dialled her number, only to get her voicemail speak.

"God damn it, Nicole!" I said as I hung up, throwing my phone on the bed. Is it possible that we can't get in touch no matter the continent we are at. I just let the phone charge and went to take a shower, hoping it'll make me relax a little.

Nicole's POV

"I know I said we were gonna talk, but I'm really not up for it now... I have a lot on my mind..." I was talking to Maya, trying to explain why we should reschedule our meeting.

"Look, if you don't want to work on our relationship, that's fine... but I just think that I at least deserve to..."

"Maya, this really isn't about you... I'm having some serious issues to deal with, and I'll call you when I get my mind sorted out!" I said angrily and hung up. That girl always thought the world was revolving around her.

Hanging up the phone I saw one voice mail message and prayed to God it was from Jared. All I could hear was, "God...", and the voicemail ended. My heart started to pound fast, my ears were ringing and I was running out of breath. It was Jared's voice and the worst thoughts were running through my mind. I was in front of the house and I just took a few minutes after going inside, to take a deep breath before going online. I was terrified to even check my emails, news, and possibly run into horrible headlines. Why wasn't my call waiting option on, but the call went straight to voicemail? I don't even want to think what could've happen to Jared.