Putting Theory To Practice

Chapter 59 - Putting Theory To Practice

"We're supposed to start with these power-regulating principles, first. But that's major, boring shite. Let's do something a little more fun. How about... explosions."

"Didn't my wife tell you to begin with the basics?"

"'Basics' are blah."

"I wanna be able to fill this stupid thing on my own."

Jessie rolls her eyes at the silly demand before bringing a hand up to lay on the ignorant kitty's shoulder. "Zen... it's tradition. You've gotta know fear before you can take learning the boring basics seriously."

"'Tradition' my sweet arse. You're just an explode-o-phile."

"That's not a word. However true it might be." The alluring human mage flashes a wicked grin before spinning around and pointing towards a particularly-massive boulder rising up through the forest floor. "First, watch."

Since she knew what was about to happen, the small Cat-woman slips in behind her meat-shield, and just peeks around the teen's frame to view the carnage. And, not two seconds later, a massive chunk from the top-most portion of the rock detonates, sending shrapnel in every which direction. Including just past one of her fuzzy ears.

"Whoa! That almost got us."

"Fecking witches!"

"Oi. That'll include you, too, after we're done with you."

"Tch."

"Exactly. Besides... was that not awesome?!"

Zen treats the sadistic arcanist to a poignant frown. "You can't even control where the bits go."

"Which is the first lesson. You simply cannot predict how your magics will affect the environment. Using spells is primarily, and fundamentally, a roll of the dice. If you don't practice incessantly, anything could happen. From blow-back, to rebounds, to collateral damage."

"Feck this. I'm just gonna give these things to Jo."

"WAIT!" Jessie snaps her hand out to grab the crazy feline by the shoulder. "D-don't you want to try it?!"

"Meaning... 'don't you want to kill yourself'?"

"Y-you won't die... maybe. If you practice." The busty arcanist innocently blinks twice, then clears her throat before glancing towards the boulder. "Anyways... do you know what makes explosions so damaging?"

"Nice deflection. No."

"Well, despite the small flash of fire, it's actually the severe changes in atmospheric pressure that occurs after the moment of ignition. What we do first is alter the air around our target, forcing in more pure oxygen, which combusts a lot faster. And when that happens, the concussive force causes a shock-wave that damages everything in it's surroundings."

Zen continues to issue a blank stare up at the theoretician, and doesn't even come close to understanding one little piece of what had just been conveyed to her. "What about vaccuums?"