Not Quite Like Old Times

Chapter 77 - Not Quite Like Old Times

"Nnn... why'd y' lemme drink so much las' night..."

"Mizuki. You're a grown woman. You should know when you've had enough."

Zen grinds a palm against her temple in an effort to relieve the massive headache caught behind her eyes. "You can magick this crap, right?"

"I could. But I'm still extremely angry at you."

"I apologized for my meddling a hundred times."

"Do it again."

The small Scout allows a heavy breath to escape. "Jo, I'm sorry for hurling you through space and time."

"And?"

"And I promise I'll never do it again without your express consent."

"Good. Now hold still."

Almost immediately, the agony trapped in the short Cat-woman's head begins to abate, and within moments she feels as right as rain. "That's better."

"Don't do it again."

"Yeah, I know." Zen sets a annoyed frown onto her lips before turning her now fully-focused attention on her domed training-grounds, ringed with groups of teens, and that had two stupid men waiting patiently in the centre.

Both were dressed as they had been the day before, in old, well-worn leathers, with the mutt's black beared nicely-trimmed... but her brother had slipped out early in order to visit the barber.

Aside from the long, curved scar partially covered by a large eye-patch, he was much the same as she remembered. Cleanly-shaven, short-cropped golden hair, refined features... and if he'd kept his appearance the same, then she would have found him years ago.

"Oi! Mizuki! Can we hurry this up, already? I wanna stop by the Adventurer's Guild and try my luck!"

The small Scout allows another heavy breath to leave her. "Same as ever. Only looking to pick up women old enough to be his mother."

"Good luck, sweetie."

Zen leans up to receive a pair of soft kisses, as well as a brief scratch of her ears before spinning around and stalking towards the men. "Alright. You find a wooden sword you like?"

"Yup. This'll do."

"Carson?"

"I'm sticking with my cane."

"Nice find, that."

"Yeah. Just got it a couple of months ago, but it's really helped advance my arts."

"Guess we'll find out." Zen accesses her enchanted pouch to produce a pair of long, curved wooden training-swords, then settles herself down into a low combat-stance.

"When'd you start using long blades, anyways?"

"Just after I met Jo."

"Huh. Well, your stance is fecked."

"Call it."

Gerald tilts his chin a little higher into the air as a confident grin appears on his lips. "Then... go."