Where To Start?

Chapter 76 - Where To Start?

"You're sure we're still in Galtaire?"

"I literally just told you."

"Yeah, I know, but..." Gerald reaches over to trail his fingertips across the indented patterns in the wall as he slowly follows along behind his sister. "I woulda remembered a place like this."

"Took us the better part of a day to demolish an entire block and build this."

The tall human male rotates his head all the way around in order to look at the prideful young puppy-mage. "A day?! No, no. That can't be right."

Mishone offers a curt nod to reaffirm her statement. "It's true. And we've built four other hotels in the same way."

"Carson... I clearly struck my head in the Dungeon. Heal me."

"I can't heal stupid."

"Fecking Dog!"

"Here. This'll be fine." Zen chooses a suite that she already knows is empty and free of other guests in a wide swath on either side, and uses a skeleton-key to flip the lock. "C'mon. We'll lend you two a pair of these."

Gerald feels his un-trapped eyebrow quickly rising up on his forehead as he paces into the wide and deep apartment, which was complete with a kitchenette, large lounge, a pair of comfortable-looking beds, and which held some rather nice furnishings. "Hey, now... this is great!"

Carson pretty much ignores the trappings, instead opting to pace all the way to the back of the room in order to crack open the wooden shutters. "Huh. This's where The Four Corners was."

"No way."

"Yup. Two blocks in, right against the main street."

The former vanguard looks to the cocky grin trapped on his sibling's lips. "You demolished the hotel we stayed at just to build a new one? Why the Hell'd you do that?"

"Sit down. You, too, mutt, before you fall over."

"Fecking Cat."

Zen snorts out a breath of amusement as she heads over to the lounge, which had three large sofas and four over-stuffed recliners arranged in a square. "I'll tell you the whole story when Jo gets back. You been keepin' in touch with your stupid father?"

"You mean your father? Not really." Gerald follows his sister, though mis-times a motion and kicks the foot of a sofa, since it was in his blind-spot. "Damnit. Uh, yeah, last time I sent a letter was about a year or so back. I bounce around so often that I rarely get messages from him, though."

"Just as well."

"Your mother was pretty pick a couple years ago. Took her almost six months to get back to her usual, charming self."

"Hmph." The small Scout flops into one of the recliners with a slight frown crossing her lips. "No-one will really care when she dies."

"Mizuki."

"Shut it. She was only ever concerned about herself."

"You haven't written her at all?"