Making the Rounds

Chapter 78 - Making the Rounds

"Hey. Where's Carson?"

Gerald looks up from the massive spread he'd been given for dinner, and offers a wry grin to his sister as she eases herself down across the lengthy table. "Same place he always goes before supper."

"Huh?"

"The Chapel."

"Really."

"Yeah. Whenever we're on the surface, he'll spend an hour 'r so there, askin' forgiveness and prayin' for the souls of the deceased."

Zen flags down one of her serving-Sisters, then twirls her finger as an indication that she wanted the usual. Which consisted of five courses, and was meant for a family of four. "The deceased, huh? Maggie an' them?"

"Naturally."

"'Naturally' my tiny arse. None of us were filled with religiosity."

The one-eyed male offers a simple shrug as he spears a shoot of asparagas with his two-tined fork. "It has more to do with his guilt. He's always felt responsible for their deaths."

"I don't see how."

"Mm... prolly... 'cause he was the first to notice, but he wasn't fast enough to act."

"Hmph." The small Scout rests an elbow onto the edge of the table as she glares off to the side. "With how quick that fecker was, even I would've been cut down by him back then. Especially since I didn't have any mithril."

"Yeah. I mean, not like it would've helped any. Fecker cheated against Maggie."

"Yeah... prick..."

Gerald continues to eat at a slow and methodical pace, paying little attention to the delicate flavours and spices while browsing some old and painful memories. "Y'know, he didn't even take anything. That's the kicker. It's like... we were just in the way..."

"I kinda picked up on that, considering he didn't stop to kill you and Carson. Didn't even steal Maggie's sword."

"Or mine."

"Hmph. What kind of crazy bastard would use a double-bladed longsword?"

"Him."

"Oh, yeah, and you."

The large human offers his grinning sibling a frown.

"What. You're obviously insane. Diving into Dungeons with only one good eye. And arm. And a one-legged mutt."

"Then let's talk crazy." Gerald sets his fork down and reaches for a large glass nearly filled to the brim with fine port. "Joanne told me about you climbing a mountain... or, rather, the sheer cliff between here and Nabreaa."

"Tch."

"You run into more Shadow Assassins than I've ever heard of."

"The Gods hate me. Stupid fecking Gods. No offense, though, to any current or former deities."

"Hmph. You took on a bloody Titan. Alone."

"It seemed do-able. And it was in my way."