twelve

Mia and Jade sat in a room in the Bureau, annoyed, as they ignored every word that was coming out of Stasiak's mouth

Mia and Jade sat in a room in the Bureau, annoyed, as they ignored every word that was coming out of Stasiak's mouth. A breath of relief left Jade's mouth once he left the room. The brunette slowly looked towards the door as it buzzed and opened, a familiar voice speaking to the other man in the room. "Hey, Tyler, we got a transfer." Mia tensed from beside her as Brian stood in front of them. "You want to come with me?" Jade nodded to Mia who sighed and grabbed her bag, the two following behind him.

Mia sat in the booth near the window, Jade beside her and Brian across from them. The three were drinking coffee and Jade could feel the awkwardness and the tension from a mile away as Brian continued to stare at the love of his life. "I'm almost done." Mia broke the silence. "Why don't you tell us why you dragged us here, Brian?"

Brian leaned back in his seat as he glanced between the two of them. "You know they're gonna capture Dom. Maybe worse." Jade definitely didn't like the way this conversation was going. "I don't want either of you getting tangled up in this. So, stay away from him."

A scoff left Jade's lips. "You're kidding me, right?"

Mia swallowed thickly as she stared at her former boyfriend. "That's what you have to say to me, after five years?" She asked. "All of a sudden, you care what happens to me? What happens to Jade?"

Brian looked away. "What I did to you was wrong." He stated and Jade raised her eyebrows in mock shock. "I'm sorry. It was - it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do."

Jade opened her mouth to speak, but Mia beat her to it. "I'm sorry too, Brian. I'm so sorry that you had to come into my home and pretend to love me. I'm so sorry that you ripped my family apart. I'm very sorry that that was hard for you."

"I lied to you." Brian looked at her. "I lied to both of you. I lied to Dom. I lied to everybody. That's what I do best. It's why the Feds recruited me."

Jade slumped against the seat, knowing not to interrupt Mia as she spoke. "Maybe you're lying to yourself. Maybe you're not the good guy pretending to be the bad guy. Maybe you're the bad guy pretending to be the good guy. You ever think about that?"

"Every day." Brian nodded.

"Let's go, J." Mia grabbed her bag and Jade nodded, a soft expression on her face, as she slid out of the booth with Mia right behind her. The younger girl stopped walking and turned back around to face Brian. "I always wondered, why'd you let my brother go that day?"

"I don't know."

"Come on, Mia." Jade said softly and reached her hand out, grabbing Mia's in hers. Mia turned around and tried to fight off the tears that were begging to roll down her cheeks. Brian continued to watch them as Jade wrapped her arms around Mia once they had gotten outside.

[][][][]

Jade paced around her room, sighing quietly as she looked in between her closed door and the phone that laid on the bed. She thought over what she was about to do. With a weary sigh, she grabbed her phone off the end of the bed and scrolled through her contacts, hoping his number was still the same. "Hello?" His voice ran through the phone, confused.

"Hey, Bri." Jade hesitated. "Listen, I know Letty was working on the Braga case." She said as she continued to pace. "I wanna know if I can take her position and help."

The other end was silent for a moment. "Does Mia or Dom know you're doing this?"

"No." Jade sighed.

"Jade, listen -"

Jade cut him off. "Brian, please." She begged.

"Meet me at the Bureau in ten minutes." Brian finally said.

"Thank you."

Jade placed her phone in the back pocket of her jeans as she walked out of the room. Her boots clicked against the floor as she made her way downstairs and towards the kitchen where Mia was standing. "Where are you off to?" Mia questioned her, curiously.

"Before I tell you, you need to promise me not to react the way I think you will." Jade said sternly and Mia furrowed her eyebrows. "And just so you know, I'm doing this for Letty and for Dom. For us."

Mia frowned. "Tell me it's not what I think it is."

Jade sighed. "It is. Brian agreed to let me take Letty's position in the Braga case that she was working and in return, Dom can come home."

"No way." Mia shook her head. "No, Jade. It's too dangerous."

Jade stepped closer to her but Mia moved away. "Mia, I need to do this. I owe it to Letty."

Mia scoffed. "You owe it to her to stay alive. Letty died working that case. She died, Jade. How do you expect me to not worry that the same thing is going to happen to you?"

Jade placed her hands on Mia's shoulders and Mia let her. "Please, Mia. Just let me do this. I need to do this."

Mia stared at her with teary eyes. "Okay." She whispered. "But you have to promise me you'll be careful. Please. I can't lose you as well."

Jade nodded her head and brought the younger girl in for a hug. "I will. I promise."

"I love you, J." Mia called out before the brunette could fully exit the house.

Jade glanced back at her over her shoulder and smiled. "I love you too, M."

Jade stood in the middle of the Bureau, having no clue on where to go after she stepped out of the elevator. A relieved sigh left her lips as she spotted Brian making his way over to her and she smiled slightly. "Hey, Brian." She greeted as she strode over to him.

Brian grabbed her arm and led her to the garage part of the building, where he could see a blue car. "Are you sure you want to do this?" Brian asked her, letting her know she had a chance to back out.

"I have to do this for Letty." She said whilst nodding determinedly.

Brian smiled at her softly. "Okay. So, Braga's number two, Ramon Campos, is holding a street race in Koreatown tomorrow night to fill a slot on his team. They've already chosen three drivers from previous races. We've managed to get two slots in the race. Now all you have to do is keep everyone in the race out of the way, so I can win to get the spot. Okay?"

"Okay." Jade nodded in agreement. "Let's do this."

Brian placed a hand on her arm. "You know Dom's gonna be there, right?"

Jade looked down. "I know. He can't stop me from doing this."

"Okay." Jade nodded in agreement. "Let's do this."