thirty nine

HAVANA

HAVANA

CUBA

It was hot outside as Jade and Dom stood together watching a young man fix his car. "We swap in parts from Ford. Plymouths and Cadillacs." He explained to them in Spanish. "My grandfather bought it in 1957. When he died, it passed to my father. Then my brother and now to me."

Dom looked down to Jade, his arm over her shoulders. "Look at this." He pointed to the engine with a smile. "This is an engine from a boat."

Jade grinned. "No way!" She laughed.

"Whatever it takes to keep it running." The man spoke.

"This is the Cuban spirit." Dom stated as the man's father patted his son's back. "Your spirit, keep it up."

A woman ran up to them frantically. "Dom. Dom." They turned to her. "It's your cousin. He's in trouble. Come on."

Jade and Dom shared a look as they followed behind the frantic woman. She led them over to where Dom's cousin; Fernando was arguing with Raldo. "You know I can't make a living without my car."

"Not my problem, bro." Raldo replied. Dom removed his arm from Jade's shoulders and stepped forward, gaining their attention. "Dominic Toretto. I heard about you. Welcome to my island."

Dom looked to the man who was hooking Fernando's car up to a tow truck. "Why you hooking up my cousin's car?"

"He needed money, I gave it to him." Raldo explained. "He can't pay, I take the car."

"I just need a few more days." Fernando said.

Raldo shook his head. "Few more days wasn't part of the deal."

Dom turned to his cousin. "Come on. You make a deal, you gotta live up to it."

"You make a deal, you gonna live up to it." Raldo corrected.

Dom looked to Raldo. "Gonna look up to it?" He repeated as Jade glanced over everyone who stood around them in a crowd. "So you're one of those types. You take everyone's ride, and then ship it back to the States?"

"You should show your people some respect." Jade spoke up in Spanish.

Raldo pointed to her. "You should watch your mouth."

Jade laughed at his words as Dom's face hardened, turning back around to Raldo. "Now you got a problem." She told Raldo.

"I'm gonna keep it about the cars." Dom stated.