Chapter 8

Kipper tossed on his helmet and did a cannonball out of the Green Lion, his goggles underneath the helmet.

His face tilted towards Earth's surface expertly.

"Wooooooooo!", the boy cheered, spinning in a nosedive.

A streaking light of fire shot past him. Through the massive flames, Kipper could see Starlin's wings. Skipper was right underneath her, fading in and out of shadow form.

Right! She's leading the others to a safe spot on earth, and shielding sister from the flames as they break through the atmosphere.

"Kip!"

Kipper grinned at the pale face next to him.

Azalea was laughing wildly, her now shoulder-length hair tied back in a tiny grey ponytail.

"Zales, how are we not going to crash?", he asked. Azalea told him to trust her, and took a sharp turn.

"I know a good place to hide the lions!", she shouted.

Kipper followed her without any question. She was the oldest female of the family, and with no doubt, the strongest. She apparently knew what she was doing.

Kipper gasped in awe as they broke through the clouds.

Under him, a vast forest of unrecognizable green trees opened up.

It was beautiful, with the sun just barely visible over the green horizon.

Azalea took a sudden dive, disappearing beneath the tree tops.

And Kipper landed in the branches.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pidge hopped out of his lion, which was snugly hidden amongst the dense forest of pine trees.

Keith picked a pine needle out of his hair and asked Pidge for a location.

"We're in-"

A shriek abruptly interrupted them.

Keith's navy eyes shot in the direction the noise came from.
"Azalea!"

Pidge adjusted his glasses and ran after Keith, who was sprinting through the forest.

The small teenager broke through the treeline and stumbled upon a field of pink flowers.

Azaleas.

In the middle of the field was a large white house with a blue-shingled roof.

Keith ushered Pidge up the steps.

On the door were three names.

Three painted handprints of different colors next to them.

Keith hesitantly pressed his own gloved hand against the smallest.

Azalea.

The other names were Diana and Marina.

"This is Azalea's house", Pidge whispered aloud.
"In Oregon."

He looked around and saw a figure in the grass, deep into the meadow.

It was Kipper.
The hybrid had taken his helmet off and was staring aimlessly into the rising sun.

There was something in his eyes. A spark.

Pidge left Keith on the porch and wandered over to Kipper.

The hybrid looked down at the Paladin, a playful grin on his lips.

"Aren't you thrilled to be back on your planet?", he asked, "Do all humans look like us?"

"I guess it hasn't really settled in yet", the Paladin replied plainly, "The fact that I'm home. My brother and father are still in space, so I guess it's too different without them. And everyone else is the same, more or less."

A shadow fell over Kipper's face. He reached over and reassuringly squeezed Pidge's shoulder.

The smaller boy smiled.

Kipper was kindhearted. He might be a bit overhyper, and too mysterious.

But to Pidge, he was genuinely kind.