Chapter 39

Matt ushered the children through the crowd. He steered them into an alley to escape the chaos on the streets.

"Now let's just-"

A dark shadow darted past the corner of his eye.

Mission compromised.

He quickly pulled out his blaster and aimed it at the tall figure standing in the alleyway. His finger grazed the trigger.

"Who goes there?!", he demanded.

The tall figure, a broad-shouldered man, quickly raised his hands in defense.
Wide, dark brown eyes widened in alarm as he called for Matt to put the weapon down.

"I will not endanger my mission", Matt firmly replied, "I will bring these children to safety before DiNicolo uses them to wipe out everything."

Matt paused, emotion flowing into his words,  "My sister might not survive if he did. My family wouldn't survive."

The tall man inched closer.
"I hear you man", he said to Matt sympathetically, "Just put the blaster down or we'll have to use force."

"We'll? I don't see anyone with you-"

Piflin suddenly grabbed Delilah's wrist and yanked her away, pulling her towards the tall man with a "Hurry!"

Matt went to reach for them.

An arm wrapped around his neck in a death grip, and a hand held the side of his face.

The soldier tried to free himself, but whoever held him was incredibly strong.

He suddenly felt sick, nauseated yet he couldn't throw up. The world spun around before his eyes as they started to roll into the back of his head.

A lightly-accented voice growled into his ear.
"Drop the blaster or nobody will be there to save your family. I will kill you right here and right now if I have to, and I'm sure you don't want to test me."

Matt complied, dropping the blaster onto the ground in defeat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Eh? Wake up!"

"I think you poisoned him too much-"

"Don't be ridiculous."

Matt Holt woke up staring into a pair of blue eyes.

"He's awake!", Piflin announced.

Matt looked around. He found himself tied to a chair, on an unknown ship.

A older man with bright orange hair scrutinized him while twisting his mustache.

Where am I?

A young woman with long white hair kneeled in front of the chair.

"Mr Holt, do you know who I am?", she asked.

"No, actually... I'm sorry-"

"I am Princess Allura of Altea. This is Coran, my advisor", she gestured to the mustached man.
"We are not your enemies."

"We're not letting you take the children either", another feminine voice said. Matt automatically recognized it as the menacing voice in the alley.

The tanned woman leaned against the wall on the far side of the room. She glanced at Matt with serious black eyes.

A word Matt would use to describe the girl would have to be Amazonian.

With her dark features, tight black clothing, and tattoos trailing down one of her arms, the girl looked like someone you shouldn't mess with.

Wait a second-

Those tattoos-

They reminded Matt of a certain black-haired recruit from two years ago.

"Sopheline DiNicolo, Neice of Haggar", Matt blurted out, "You have the same tattoos as your brother. I didn't know you were in this war. You're fighting against your cousin?"

The woman nodded, patting the head of the little girl next to her.
"For the sake of my sister, yes."

"I'm sorry, but I need to take your sister back to my fellow rebels. We need her there."

She narrowed her eyes.
"I'm not letting you take her anywhere. You really want our work to go to waste? I mean, your own friends and family risked their lives for this."

The soldier blinked his wide hazelnut eyes.
"What?"

Allura had Coran untie Matt from the chair he was held captive in.

"What do you mean?!", he demanded, "My family is home on Earth, and my friends are too!"

A firm hand grabbed his shoulder.

"What about me?", a voice asked.

A voice that was all too familiar to Matt.

"Shiro-?"