Chapter 9

Shiro rubbed the concealer across Skipper's cheeks, hiding her distinctive Altean marks.

Then he tucked her pointy ears under a white beanie.

She looked like a normal human now, wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a jet black tank top. All except for her tattoos trailing down her arm.

They had stowed the lions off the coast. New York was too busy to hide them on land.

Starlin walked out of the store in a tight black sweater and jeans, with a scarf and a pair of sunglasses as accessories. Lance grinned sheepishly, his arm around her waist as they walked towards Shiro.

Lance had paid for the hybrid's human clothes by singing Spanish pop songs on the sidewalk.

Shiro leaned back.
"Done."

Hunk helped Skipper to her feet and complimented her outfit.

"Where do we go?", Lance asked the group.

Starlin tapped the side of her head.
"A spell is blocking me from Delilah's thoughts, but I can sense her energy North of here."

Lance smirked. His blue eyes traveled to the many stores that surrounded them.

Starlin elbowed him hastily.
"We have to focus on our mission."

"Awe man..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dusty. Every room was dusty from years of vacancy.

Papers and drawings were scattered across the kitchen table.

Photographs lined the walls and shelves, each one in a thick coating of dust.

Marina and Azalea took up most of the photographs. They looked so happy together.

Keith held a frame in his hands.

Azalea's younger self grinned at him through the glass. Her long black hair was a mess over her deeply tanned skin.

She was an adorable child.

It was hard to remember that she wasn't always pale. She was Hispanic, after all.

Traumatic stress made her the moonlight flower he idolized.

Creak. Creak.

The boy looked up.

Someone was walking on the second floor.

He gently set the picture down where he found it, and quickly walked up the steps.

He found Azalea in a room with violet walls.

She was perched on the edge of the bed, her knees tucked to her chin and her eyes tightly shut.

This is her room.

Clutched in her arms was a picture of Marina and Diana Korraine, and a small brown plush bear.

Azalea softly weeped into her knees.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kipper sat down in the living room.

He felt oddly out of place.

So this is a human's home?

Strangely neat.

What would his life had been like if he and Skipper grew up on Earth?

Would their life be the same?

Looking at the many photographs, Kipper saw how happy Azalea once was.

Could my life ever be that happy?....