Family Matters

Jerome's POV

It wasn't fun being tested. At least it was more bearable than what I've been through.

I gave a warning growl to the newcomer whose name I had forgotton once more as he patted my back. Mitch had chosen to stay in bed, saying he needed his rest.

"Easy mate! Not gonna harm ya" He chuckled, sitting besides me, Mat had requested that I only wear pants, however I had wished I wasn't wearing these heat magnets.

"Not your mate pale one" I propped my head on a closed fist. Waiting for Mat to come talk to me in the back of Mitch's den.

"I hadn't mean it like that bro, and for the last time, My name is Lachlan" I snorted in his direction, none too kindly.

"Jerome, how are you feeling?" I picked my head up and looked at Mat as he came outside.

"Kind of groggy, I feel like I could rip his throat out," I nodded my head towards Lachlan. "So not much change"

"He's kidding right?"

"I don't think so Lachy, now Jerome! We'll stay away from doing much physical activity, today's focus is on fishing" I shrugged as I looked down at my hands, I couldn't remember the last time I went swimming.

"The lake where we will be going to isn't far at all, all set to go?" Quickly I picked up my head to look at the two and almost questioned why they were carrying long sticks with string attached to it but dismissed it.

"Ready" I stood and followed behind the two as we left Mitch's large den, I couldn't help the whimper escape as I stole a glance back at the retreating form of it. My nose twitched, I could almost smell him.

"Say 'erome? How long have you been with Mitch?" Lachlan asked me, I already didn't like him.

"Almost 7 days, why do you ask?" I questioned him, snickering as he got hit from a branch.

"A week?! You've been doing Notch knows what with him for a week?!" He yelled at me, I turned and growled while poofing up my fur.

"Have you claimed Mitch as your mate? I don't think so, or are you challenging me?" I snarled taking a step forward but the rude pale one only put his hands up.

"Mitch is like a brother to me, a weird, crazy, caring older brother. I don't think of him like that...It's just, I dunno..Don't you think it's too soon to be doing that with him?" Lachlan asked, I glanced at Mat who was tapping away at his arm causing me to snort and roll my eyes. Such a strange tin man.

"Seeing it through the ways of a bacca, I'm going on pace with him" I shrugged and followed the tin man further into the jungle with a now unhappy man behind me. We walked this way and that, until we stopped at a river. Seeing the calming scenery made me think of when I learned how to fish from my dad. I gave a longing sigh as I walked to the waters edge, following the position of the sun so my shadow didn't cast towards the water.

My father was on the Elder's council, I was honored to be his son. A shot of pain rushed through my chest as my thoughts went to my mother, one of the 3 healers in my now ex-tribe. 

"You alright Jerome?" Mat sat on a log near me as Lachlan watched from the base of a nearby tree.

"My mother must be worried, as well as my sisters" I sighed, keeping my eyes on the water, trained on the many salmon swimming calmly beneath the current.

"What about your dad?" Lachlan piped up from his place, I gave a shrug.

"He must've collapsed from grieving, I was close to him, I just wish to let him know I'm alright for the most part and introduce my family to my mate" I said softly before quickly scooping a salmon out of water and delivering a swift bite, stopping it from flailing instantly.

"Amazing" Mat breathed out, tapping at his arm again. "Once your body regulates the manipulation that was done, we can go to your tribe" I looked at him surprised, with the fish still between my mouth.

"You mean it?" I asked, after eating said fish and licking my teeth, my small tail wagging excitedly.

"Of course, I'm sure Mitch would be as excited to meet your family" I could just picture it, Mitch happily talking to my dad, as my sisters pester me about cubs while mother scolds them. Father would approve of Mitch, I sat thinking.

I would have to teach Mitch Italian...

Love me, onto the next story! 

F.O.T