I'm Free?

Jerome's POV

It wasn't always dark, sometimes when I open my eyes, I see a blur of colors before I seen figures outside of the thing I was in. They weren't like me, they were pale and only had hair on top of their heads and some on their chins. They were talking, I heard them easily, they were saying how they were surprised I had survived.

One had walked up to me, in this....container I was in. He was a middle aged man, he wore a white coat.

"...You're glorious... A fine specimen...." I blinked at him, his language was different from my own but I did understand him.

I tried talking back in my native tongue but my throat was all scratchy and irritating that made me cough, I received air but wasn't I in water?

"Shh...you're throat is shot, but give it three days....then you'll be able to talk" I tilted my head. How was my throat shot? I grunted at him and he gave me a small chuckle.

"Drain the water..." My ears perked to the sound of a forigen thing, that's when I felt myself being lowered to the bottom of the thing I was in. Once everything was gone I stood on my four paws naturally, curiously looking at the men as they gathered around me, I felt afraid so I let a scratchy growl escape, my fur puffed up to make myself appear bigger. Normally that would work on any other bacca, but they were unfazed.

"Back away men..." I blinked as I looked to the male who spoke to me before, was he their leader? I felt something remove from my mouth and my nose, I sneezed as it did so, the air in here smelt funny, no, it smelt fake.

"Don't worry my furry friend... In a week, you'll be free to roam around, you are an evolved bacca, surely you can learn our language and cope with our world..." I backed away from him before sitting on my rear, I seen his amber eyes dart down and that made me look down too. There wasn't anything unusual, only fur to cover up the mating tool.

"What gender is our friend here?" He asked, not taking his eyes off of me, I held the eye contact until I was bored of him, my eyes wandered somewhere else, that was when I took note of trees. I yipped in happiness as I tried to reach them only to smack into an invisible wall. I shook my head before leaning against the wall, I gazed into the trees, I seen movement from the inside, if that was where I was going then I wanted it more than anything.

"Male, sir... He's from the eastern tribe, they're the ones who have adapted to learn the language of the locals there..." I was half paying attention to what they said, I whimpered as a bird flew by.

"Hmm... Feed him, today is over, after that, make sure to lock up" I turned my head as all the men left, all except one. This man looked at me in sorrow, why? Was I going to die?

He held something in his hands, it looked strange, my nose twitched and I ran up to him as I smelt the stench of fresh fish, a bacca's delicacy. When he walked in the rather cramp container, I waddled over to him but as he went around me I walked out. I pawed at the wall that had stopped me from going into the trees until it closed-blending in with the rest, the man yelped and pounded on it, I tilted my head in amusement as I watched him, but then I heard the tweet of birds from the outside.

"No! Get back here!!" He yelled, I ignored him and climbed my way up to the open thing in the wall, I looked back at him once more before I hopped out.

The air out here was definitely better, more like real, but the other scents made me happy. It was like the wild was meant for me, I sprinted across the tree branches with ease, back in my tribe I was a delta unlike no other, really quick on my paws and I could speak with the pale ones. Our Alpha was Mante, I trusted him with my life but then the humans came, not like the locals but with coats. They were going to capture Mante but I had gotten in the way and they took me instead.

"I'm on my way home, so I'll catch you guys another time" I stopped as I heard a voice, the source was coming from below me, so I looked down only to be met with the top of another pale one, only he didn't have a white coat, he had a different article of clothing, some patches were black and the other was crimson, even though 95% of Bacca's were colorblind, I taught myself how to identify them.

"Alright, Bye Mitch!!" There was another male but I only paid attention to the one named Mitch. I didn't know where I was, I couldn't speak, and I was hungry. What better solution was there other than to follow him until he was alone.

I mean why not? I'm free after all.