chap. 16

I always told myself to never believe in coincidences for some reason, but today I couldn't. Still a little jet lagged, My Chipotle didn't taste the same. I felt uneasy sitting there. Like someone was watching me.

"Ethan?" I turned towards the voice, expecting a fan. Of course, it was a fan. Sophie.

"Sophie! Hey, what's up?"

"Was just gonna grab food. You?" she said, stating the obvious.

"Eating my feelings. Wanna join me?"

"I'll skip the feelings, I don't do well with them. But I'll eat with you, sure," she said, smirking. I was embarrassed A 14 year old was smoother than me. I waited patiently to continue eating until Sophie arrived. I decided to be polite and try to be more mature than her, which I was definitely failing at so far. Sophie slid into the seat next to me. Before she could even open up her food, Sophie's phone started ringing. She didn't hesitate to answer it. The conversation sounded strikingly similar to the one she had on the plane earlier, except she left out the 20 year old guy part, although I was sitting next to her once again.

"Okay. Yes. YES! Alright. Yes. I love you. Bye," she said frustratingly.

"Sorry, she calls way too much,"

"I bet she's just worried about you."

"She called before I walked into these doors. It's not like she hasn't called five times since the airplane."

"She'll adjust eventually. I mean, there's a point where someone has to sleep, and there's a huge time zone difference here." Sophie laughed, and continued eating. She didn't say much, and I moved on to my second out of three tacos. Meanwhile, I turned to look at Sophie and she was already done. I gawked at her speed eating abilities.

"I've had many instances in my life where I have to leave at the drop of a hat, so naturally I've learned to eat and do many other things quickly," she responded calmly but swiftly. I swallowed the last of my second taco.

"You can talk pretty fast too," I told her.

"Social workers can write really fast, so if I speak faster, they write faster. And I'm done with whatever issue faster,"

"Geez, what else can you do?"

"Read emotions really well,"

I gave Sophie a questioning look.

"For example, when we parted at the airport you were feeling confused and suspecting because we were both going to funerals," I looked at her.

"And now you're slightly embarrassed and more amazed at my skills. Oh, now you're really embarrassed. That's just because your face is red," she said, only glancing up at me near the end of her sentence. Sophie was one of those people that you only hear about in movies. Someone who hasn't had a great life, but still is smarter than most people.

"Impressive. You were spot on," I said truthfully. She giggled and shook her head.

"Most people aren't that amazed."

"Well, I'm not like most people." She smiled at me, and I finally finished my third taco.

a/n: SORRY NOT SORRY FOR THE SHORT UPDATE
writing on my kindle is a pain and I hate it BUT I UPDATED FOR YOU ECHO ;) anyways have a wonderful day and thank you for 600 views! :) ~susanna <3