chap. 15

I waited in the terminal for my plane, my thoughts only of Mark. Did I make him upset? I mean, sure he sounded angry, but how long could he really be mad at me? Mark had always said how our emotions are the same, and right now I was worried and feeling horrible for what I did at the same time. I really wish I could've just let him come. Soon, my thoughts are interrupted by my phone buzzing.

markimoo 💕: i want to come with you, i'll be at the terminal in five

me: mark

markimoo 💕: what

me: we just boarded the plane

markimoo 💕 : oh

markimoo 💕: i got you flowers

me: aww i'm sorry i couldn't see them

markimoo 💕 : i'll put them on the counter

me: thank you

markimoo 💕 : have a safe trip

me: i will

me: are you mad at me

markimoo 💕 : even tho it may seem, i could never be

markimoo 💕 : i like you too much

me: 😘

me: gotta go into airplane mode, bye

markimoo 💕 : bye ❤️

I quietly rested in my seat, leaning back. The girl next to me was no older than 14. She was on the phone trying to hang up with someone.

"No, mom. I'm sitting next to a 20 year old. Relax. No! I am not taking his picture! I have to go. Yes. YES! Alright, love you." She hung up and sighed. She looked over at me. I smiled.

"Sorry, she's kind of crazy," the girl told me.

"It's fine. Did you guess my age?"

"Nah, I know who you are, Ethan," she explained taking out something from her backpack. The girl was surprisingly calm for a fan.

"Oh, wow. Not many people recognize me," I said, a little sad.

"How? I watched you from the very start," she said. I gave her a questioning look, because she couldn't be that old.

"I didn't have a very smooth childhood. I was often sad or depressed, so I turned to YouTube. I found your channel and really enjoyed it, and I guess you could say I'm a lifelong fan."

"Wow. I'm glad my videos helped you. What's your name?"

"Sophie, and I'm 14 if you were wondering."

"I didn't fly on an airplane until I moved to LA. You're brave," I told her.

"Thanks. Oh, and I was actually gonna draw some YouTubers on the ride over there, wanna join in?" I usually wouldn't do something like this, but she was such a nice fan and I was going to be bored.

"Sure. But if I were you, I'd wait until the plane lifts off already."

"Uh, Ethan. We're in the air now." I glanced out the window.

"Oh. I feel stupid."

"Don't. I've gotten so used to flying that sometimes I don't even realize when we land."

"It was nice meeting you, Sophie."

"You too, Ethan. Not that it's any of my business, but why are you coming to Maine?"

"Funeral."

"I'm sorry. Me too, actually."

"It's my mother."

"Mine too. I never met her. She was my biological mother, but she abandoned me."

We headed off our separate ways, and I thought about what had just happened. Was it possible that Sophie was- my sister? No way.

Mark called me later on to tell me that everything was going well back in LA.

I tried to prepare myself to face my father. But I couldn't just yet. So instead, I found the nearest chipotle and ate my heart out.