chap. 17

a/n: hey it's already 17 that seems to be a high number

"So where are you going to stay until your funeral?" I asked Sophie.

"I don't have a set place, but I won't be here for long. The funeral doesn't start for another hour or so."

"Oh. Mine's tomorrow, but you're welcome to stay with us. When's your flight back?"

"Tomorrow morning. Are you sure? I don't want to ask for much."

"Not a problem. My dad won't even be home until noon tomorrow, so we'll have the whole house to ourselves."

"If you insist," she said, throwing away our trash. I don't know why I'm being so friendly to Sophie, I don't know her that well. And our funerals aren't the same- they aren't even on the same day. I invited Soph back to my house and she took my offer. We tried to hitch a taxi, which can be hard in Maine considering there aren't many taxis at all. Instead, we decided to call an Uber. Both Sophie and I were very skeptical about this, but we had no other choice. As Sophie and I waited, we grew awkward as there was nothing to talk about. Soon, she got another phone call.

"Hey. Ethan. Nestor. Yes. No! Shut up. I'm not asking him for a picture- I'm not like you. Echo! Please. Fine. But you gotta promise not to freak, alright?" Sophie sighed. She wants a picture, Sophie mouthed. Feeling quite bored but in the mood, I shook my head. I reached for Sophie's phone. She handed it to me.

"Ethan Nestor, at your service."

An ear piercing scream was heard even by Sophie, with the volume down low and the phone not even on speaker. I talked with the girl for a while, before giving the phone back to Sophie. She told her friend goodbye and hung up. Soph started to apologize for her friend, but I just laughed and said it was OK.

"Echo- she's something else," she sighed, smirking. I looked over at Sophie who seemed almost- in love. I was about to ask about the look on her face, when the Uber finally arrived. We had a safe trip home (somehow), and Sophie thanked me for letting her stay. Sophie glanced at her phone as a text popped up.

"The funeral was moved to tomorrow and no one told me until right now. Great," she sighed. I guess we'll have time together to do whatever until tomorrow comes. I showed Sophie to the guest bedroom, and then ran downstairs into the kitchen to make a snack. I laughed to myself. I just had Chipotle. God, I eat a lot.

a/n: so some people *cough* echo *cough* wanted me to update rlly badly so here is your short af chapter... sorry m8 idk adios ~susanna <3