4. Ride

He couldn't be that far away, Ester realized. He must be somewhere, she thought as she made her way down the street. It was cold and dark, just like last night. But she at least knew how to get back again now.

Why did he even take her purse? He could've just said no to his sister and leave Ester out of it. But no, the man had to be complicated. She didn't even know him. He was a complete stranger, yet he managed to snatch her purse and leave her to run after him. And Ester Celeste never ran after a guy.

In fact, she hardly ever interacted with men. Now that she thought about it, he was the first man that touched her like that in a while. Even though it was because of the dance pose.

She shook her head. Where were her thoughts leading her? All she had to consider was that guy's rude behaviour and stupid actions that brought her in this position. All her stuff was in that purse, her jacket and phone included.

As she continued to walk, she realized nobody else was around her, again. A cold shiver ran down her spine and not because of the weather. She suddenly felt paranoid as she quickly turned around to see if someone was following her. Damned Devon! She didn't even know his surname to curse his whole being!

Ester sighed and turned around again, just to let out a high pitched scream. Her heartbeat was picking up speed within a millisecond when a figure suddenly appeared in front of her. But before she could turn around and run, she realized it was Devon.

"What is wrong with you?" He asked her, covering his ear. Ester glared up at him as she pulled her leg back and kicked him in the shin. Devon's eyes widened as he doubled over and held his shin. He let out a pained sound and looked up at Ester in bewilderment.

"What the fuck?!" He yelled at her, making her flinch slightly.
"What? You scared me, I didn't know it was you." She smirked, letting Devon know how much of that statement was true. Only half.

"You bitch." He straightened his back and grabbed Ester by the shirt as he roughly pulled her towards him. She gasped and placed her hands on his chest, trying to build some distance between them.

"You will not ever fucking kick me again!" He growled into her face, almost touching her nose with his. Ester gulped audibly, realizing just how dangerous he looked and sounded right in this moment. But at the same time, his tight grip on her shirt and intense stare caused her breath to hitch for another reason.

"Do you understand?" He asked her and she eventually nodded, causing him to let go of her and push her away in the process.
"Now, come or I'll actually drive off without you." He murmured before turning to his left and walking towards a fancy car.

Of course he was in a car this whole time she was searching for him, why did she not think about that?

"Wait, no. I want you to give me my purse and leave me alone." Ester demanded but involuntarily followed Devon to his car. He didn't seem to hear her or at least didn't answer as he opened the driver's door and stepped into his car.

"Devon!" Ester yelled when he simply shut his door and turned on the engine. She knocked on the black window of his door and waited for him to open it. But he never did. So she scowled at the window, convinced he was watching her from inside.

She rounded the car and opened the passenger's door. Devon was seated behind his wheel, her purse resting on his thighs. Ester took a deep breath and struck out her hand.
"Hand it to me."

"Get in." Devon ordered as he glanced at her. But Ester shook her head and reached out to snatch her purse away from him, but he was quick enough to take a hold of her hand and pull on it. She had no other chance than to get one knee inside the car, so she was able to keep her balance.