18. Beach House

"When are you going to tell me where we're going?" Ester asked for the third time and Sierra rolled her eyes.

"I told you already. When it's too late for us to turn back." Sierra shifted in her seat before the red light turned green and they were driving again. Ester was in the passenger seat of Sierra's car and sighed.

"This was a mistake. You're probably going to abduct me in the woods or something because I'm slowly getting better at dance and you can't stand competition." Ester joked and Sierra scoffed, playing along.

"For your information, I can stand competition. At least, I think so. I mean I've never met somebody as good as me." She proudly raised her chin up high.
"Of course. You Stones and your prides." Ester rolled her eyes.

"You can't tell me you don't have a pride as big as an elephant. Weren't you the one who insisted she didn't need to stretch last week, even when you got a cramp in your leg?" Sierra glanced at her friend.
"Oh, do let that go already." Ester groaned, making her friend laugh.

"Wait until I tell-" Sierra suddenly stopped in the middle of her sentence and took another glance at Ester, who frowned at her suddenly odd behaviour.
"Well, wait until I tell mom." Sierra shrugged.

"I'm happy you guys talked it out. But if she ever asks me about it, I'm going to deny it." Ester rolled her eyes again.
"We'll see." Sierra said and when she glanced at Ester again, she saw her eyes glued on her phone.

"Work again?" Sierra raised an eyebrow. She was getting quite the amount of texts lately and Sierra knew it wasn't her work. It's been a week since the dinner where she got a text and told Sierra it was from work. The day after that, Ester was all over her phone, making their adventurous hike day boring as hell.

"Yeah, no. It's Olivia." Ester knew Sierra was getting suspicious. But she had yet to find out her admirer's identity. And if it were to be her brother, she'd definitely not tell her. When Ester looked up from her phone and glanced at Sierra, she saw her friend shrug.

"What does she need?"
"Uh- just a pen." A pen? Ester could've slapped herself right then and there. Out of all things, she was looking for a pen? Good job, Ester thought sarcastically.

"A pen?" Sierra lifted an eyebrow in question.
"Yeah, it's this special pen she got me for my birthday last year. And the ink has a certain colour she needs for an essay." What the heck was she talking about? No one even wrote essays per hand anymore.

"Doesn't she have a laptop?" Sierra asked, so not buying it.
"Yeah, but her history professor is one of a kind." Ester shrugged. Ugh, she's so bad at lying. But Sierra simply shrugged it off as she continued driving. Ester inwardly sighed in relief before looking down at her phone display again.

You sure? Because it's staring at me as if it wants to kill me.

Ester smiled at his text and quickly hurried to answer.

Well, he's probably just hungry. But if you feed him, he'll come back. So, trust me. Just ignore him.

Her secret admirer had a strange cat on his balcony and it didn't have a collar. According to him, he was there for the past few days just walking around. Ester has been telling him to just ignore the cat, but her admirer kept nearing the balcony.

They've been texting for a week now. At first, Ester was hesitant to answer his second text. But after Olivia spent an hour explaining to her how harmless it was to just text a guy, she decided she'd just go for it and see how it turns out.

He still hasn't told her his real name, but she learned quite a few things about him. He jogged almost every morning. She realized that when he kept texting her good morning texts at like 5 a.m. and one day he told her he just got back from his morning jog.