14. Loneliness

"In position." Three days later, Ester found herself in ballroom again. This time, Devon came in time and she was currently in the start position of the American ballroom tango with him.

"And a one, a two, a three!" Sierra clapped as she turned the music on. Everybody around her was also dancing as the instructor simply walked around and corrected.

Ester was smirking at Devon, who had a grumpy look on his face, like a little boy who refused to eat his broccoli. She couldn't help but be smug about Sierra's teasing. Apparently, it started as soon as Ester hung up three days ago.

He was enraged when he stepped into the ballroom and scowled at Ester. Sierra then proceeded to continue bullying him, making Devon almost leave again. But when his sister finally promised to stop if he stayed, he calmed down and actually stayed.

"Smile as long as you still can." That caused Ester's smile to falter when she glanced up into his eyes. He did not look happy as he glared down at her.
"You're exaggerating." She rolled her eyes.

"Exaggerating? She's my sister! Why on earth would you even tell her that?" He scoffed loudly, making some people turn their way and Sierra giggled.
"If I knew she'd tease you about it, I would've told her earlier." Ester shrugged.

"I can't wait for you to loose. To see that look in your face. And maybe even see a few tears." He growled lowly.
"You don't scare me." Was all she managed to say, because in that moment he was pretty scary.

"We'll see." He shook his head in disbelief and they resumed dancing silently.
"Your mom was right, you do have anger issues." Ester scoffed.
"You don't even know me." Devon snapped.

"I don't have to and I don't want to get to know you." She raised her chin high.
"The feeling is mutual." Devon growled at her.

"You're impossible. If you want to get rid of me, just leave me alone." Ester snapped.
"Having second doubts, huh? I told you to step out. But I've already started my plan. It's too late now." Devon smirked.

"I'm not having second doubts. I said it before, I'm not even remotely scared of you." She looked away from him.
"Uhu." Was all he murmured before they continued dancing in silence.

She will be scared of him. Soon enough, he thought.
.
.
.

"Anything!" Devon yelled at his best friend, who sighed for the nth time this night. They were supposed to have fun here, at his father's club. But no, all Devon had to think about was her. Even though Mason didn't think bad of Ester when he met her at his party, she was now getting on his nerves. And it wasn't even her doing!

"No, Devon. For the tenth time now. I do not know how you could possibly make her cry." Mason finally exploded.
"You're a helpless idiot then." Devon ran an exhausted hand through his mane.

"I still don't understand why you can't just let her be. You told me she stomped on your foot and kicked you twice. So? She probably had her reasons." Was that really his best friend talking? Devon snapped his gaze towards him and glared at Mason.

"I also have my reasons to hurt her. And for the hundredth time, they don't concern you!" Devon took another swig of his whiskey.
"If you want me to help, they do." Mason shook his head at his friend. He's never seen Devon get this riled up because of a girl. Despite that, she was twenty, for heaven's sake! What was he even doing with a woman this young?

"Isn't it enough that I'm asking you?" Devon sighed and slumped back in his seat.
"Something happened between you two. And you're not telling me. So no, it's not enough until I know what the fuck that something is." Mason told him.

Devon narrowed his eyes at his supposed best friend. Why did he have to know? And what gave it away? Was he acting a little over the top? But he couldn't help it! That woman was annoying as heck! He had to get her back. She was nobody. Yet, she is the one he fucking thinks about, day and night. And not in the good way!

"Nothing! Nothing fucking happened. What do you want to hear?" There was no way Devon would tell anybody what happened between him and Ester. Nothing even happened, so he wasn't exactly wrong.

"Then why are you bothering her? I found her quite nice when I met her." Mason shrugged again, enjoying the view of his angry friend.
"Fuck you. Honestly, I don't even need you. I'll find a way on my own." Devon has had enough.

He made sure not to speak to Mason for a while as he finished his drink and swayed when he stood up. Mason immediately stood up as well, helping his friend by hooking his arm around his waist. But Devon, as stubborn as always pushed Mason away from him.

"Get away from me! I don't need your help." He growled and straightened his back. With pride, he walked off and passed the guards of the club before finally reaching outside, where a fresh breeze hit his hot face.

Devon grunted as he made his way to his car. He was drunk, but still felt like he could drive. So no big deal, he thought as he angrily shoved the key in its ignition, bringing the car to life. Within a minute, he was on the road, making his way home.

He drove slower than usually, feeling at least a little responsible. But after five more minutes, he stopped his car completely after hearing the sirens behind him.
"Fuck." Devon hissed. He knew what was coming.

"Hello, sir. Lic- you again?" The officer narrowed his eyes after realizing who was sitting behind the steering wheel of a new car.
"Hey, June. You like my new car?" Devon found this situation rather hilarious.

"Get out of the vehicle, Stone." Without hesitation, Devon climbed out of his car and let Officer June guide him to the police car. They drove to the station together and Devon was even greeted by many other officers.

"Some would say it's alarming when all the officers in town know your name and even greet you like it's the most casual thing in the world." Officer June shook his head after forcefully pushing Devon into a cell, something he was familiar with.

"You never liked me." Devon snapped after the officer locked him up. June simply sighed and turned to sit down on the desk in front of Devon's cell.
"We already have Mason's number on speed dial. He's on his way." Officer Dan walked in and nodded at Officer June before walking over to Devon and handing him a glass of water.

"Good." Was all Officer June said before grabbing a magazine, placing his feet on top of his desk and starting to shut everthing around him out. Devon and the other officer rolled their eyes, before fist bumping each other.

"Thanks for the water." Devon said and handed the glass back to Dan, who nodded and then left the scene. Devon started whistling, knowing it would peeve Officer June. He started pacing around and smirked when June slammed the magazine on his desk and stood up to near the iron gates.

"You know why I'm the only one who doesn't appreciate your presence here?" June growled.
"Because you were friends with Michael Troy?" The Officer blinked at that and remembered what he's read about Devon Stone when he first arrived. That was reminder enough to swallow his anger and step away from the drunk idiot.

"Why, June?!" Devon cried after the officer who abruptly left the room. Devon sighed before sitting down on the ground and sniffing.

What the fuck happened to him?