20. Apologies

"Ester, there's someone at the door for you."

Her roommate Olivia announced as she walked into her room and waited for an answer. Ester wiped her nose with another tissue and then sniffed again.
"Who is it?" She asked.

"I don't know. She wears a pony, brunette. Brown eyes and looking pretty sorry." Sierra, Ester thought as she nodded at Olivia. Ester quickly sat up in bed and frowned, impatiently waiting for Sierra to come in.

"Hey." She said as she slowly opened Ester's room door.
"Hi." Ester responded and gulped.

"I thought you were at the beach house." Ester said, still feeling embarrassed about how things turned out. She couldn't believe that she almost kissed Devon, despite knowing that Sierra was in the same house.

At first Ester thought Sierra didn't see it, but when she saw that forced smile, she realized Sierra did see them. And when she heard them yell in the kitchen, she's had enough. Ester was already shocked that she almost kissed Devon, but she felt guilty as heck.

Couldn't face anybody that day as she left the beach house and walked kilometers until she found a bus station. The rain was still pouring wildly at that time and Ester wasn't wearing more than a cardigan. So it didn't come as a surprise when she got sick the following day.

"I thought you were too." Sierra said and Ester sighed.
"I sent you a message last night." Ester said, not knowing what even brought Sierra here. She thought she was mad at her.

"And you only said that you were sorry and that you made it home. Seriously?" Sierra scoffed, placing her hands on her hips.

"I am, Sierra. I don't know what the heck came over me. I didn't mean to kiss him, really. It's just that at that moment I was shocked because you left me alone and I kept waiting for you to finally pop up and get me out of that situation." Ester sighed.

"And when he stepped closer, I froze momentarily. I never planned on doing anything, you have to believe me. I hate him, you know that! But you can't deny that Devon is a handsome-"

"Okay, I've heard enough. Please don't continue that sentence." Sierra chuckled, confusing Ester.
"Wait, what?"

"Well, I know that you guys hate each other. It was just really frustrating at that time. It felt like someone slapped me right in the face, because I was so sure you would never go for my brother." Her friend sighed and neared the bed.

"And I wouldn't!" Ester said.
"I know, I know. I'm sorry too. For overreacting. But you have to understand me. Every single one of my friends swoon over him. They don't even ask how I am anymore, they come straight to the point and ask about him." Sierra scoffed.

"One time I was sick, lying in bed with the flu, just like you. And Stacy had the audacity to come into my room to ask for condoms. I thought she was there to be a good friend and care for me." Sierra rolled her eyes, making Ester gape at her.

"No she did not." Sierra nodded at that.
"That bitch!" Ester scoffed and her friend laughed.

"I know. But I'm over it, really. I have you." Sierra sat down next to Ester and intertwined their hands.
"Really? You're not upset?" Ester asked in disbelief.

"Why should I? You both hate each other. And you both say you'd never start anything with the other. And nothing happened, thanks to me. So, I forgive you. If you forgive me." Sierra said. Ester knew Devon hated her, but found it interesting to know he said he'd never start anything with her. After all, she did manage to seduce him.

"Of course. You don't even have to explain yourself. I completely understand." Ester shrugged her other thought away and smiled at Sierra.
"Good. Now, when do you think you'll come back to dance?"

"I don't know. Depends on how I feel. But this sickness seems pretty legit. Maybe I'll take a break for the next week." Ester answered.
"A whole week? How am I supposed to handle that? And who's Devon supposed to dance with?" Sierra pouted.

"I thought he was on vacation." Ester frowned and her friend gave her a smirk.
"He came back with me today. Now we can annoy him again." She joked and Ester smiled.

"Good." The two laughed. Ester though, laughed because of the awkwardness of this situation. Obviously she wasn't happy about the news. But she was even more unhappy about the fact that her heart skipped a beat when Sierra told her he was back.

She had texted with her secret admirer all day long and realized he only texted her after she texted Sierra that she was at home. Ester could still think it was a coincidence, but she was sure to be aware of Devon Stone.

This may be part of his plan to get her back, she realized. And for the time being, she was willing to play along.

She just hoped no one got hurt in the process.