32. Advice

After Devon left his mother's mansion, he sat in his car for a good hour.

He couldn't believe he was still so repulsive whenever Ester's name was mentioned anywhere. He couldn't help the obvious attraction, but he also couldn't force her into anything.

It was times like these that Mason used to be really helpful. And truth be told, Devon missed his best friend a lot. Not only because of his current dilemma. But it was weird going weeks without hearing his voice. God, he sounded stupid.

"Fucking hell." Devon shook his head and drove off, fast so he wouldn't change his mind again. He's been threading the moment they see each other again. But he really needed his best friend right now. And especially an advice coming from a man who loves rom-coms. He'd know what to do.

The radio was blasting music in order to keep his mind from doubting his decision. Even though the volume of it was probably harmful for his hearing, he couldn't risk turning around. Or even thinking about it. It was either today or never.

"Shit." Devon murmured as he stopped the car right in front of the familiar hotel. Mason's father owned a famous hotel chain called Izza and Devon and his best friend practically lived there ever since Mason's father gave him an apartment, which was back in high school.

Mason and Devon go way back. Actually, Mason and all the Stones go way back. He was like a brother to him and a really good friend to Sierra. Devon shook his head, clearing his mind before climbing out of his car.

The receptionist greeted him with a nod as Devon walked inside. He knew Harald, the receptionist and was able to just use the elevator up without any further explanation. Man, he missed this place. It always smelled like leather and soap. And the elevator music was chosen by him and Mason personally.

Devon's leg was shaking and he kept looking at his wrist watch, because the elevator just seemed so slow. But once he reached the middle floor, he stepped outside and strode towards the end of the hall.

Mason had a penthouse that was occupying the west side of the middle floor. The most expensive penthouses were on the upper floors and Devon remembered they always hung out there when they were teenagers, causing Mason's father to loose his hair earlier than naturally planned.

Devon smiled at the memories, but it quickly faded once he stood in front of Mason's door. Oh God. What was he thinking? What if Mason wasn't even in? He probably had better things to do than sit in his living room and wait for Devon to show up.

Devon hesitated to do anything. For a moment, he just stood in front of the door and thought about nothing. It felt as if he were frozen. He couldn't think straight. All of a sudden, doubts started rushing through his mind. What if he was too late?

What if his best friend didn't even remember him anymore and started getting used to living without him in his life? Bloody hell, what if he hated him for the things he said? Devon's heart started racing when he lifted his hand.

He couldn't turn back now. It was Mason, for fuck's sake. They were brothers. They've gone through so much. And they could definitely get through this. Yet, Devon turned around to leave after knocking twice.

But only after a few steps, the door opened and Devon froze another time, his back turned towards whoever opened the door. Then he heard footsteps stop right behind him and in a swift motion, his feet were tangling in the air.

"Jesus, let me down!" Devon demanded and a second later, he was standing on the ground again. But the arms around his body were still tightly set.
"I'm not Jesus, but I'll let you down anyways." He heard the familiar voice joke.