34. Wine

"Are you sure we have time for this? What if the others come back and we're suddenly gone?" Ester looked back in doubt.
"Then I'm going to tell them that I showed you the wine cellar. As simple as that." He shrugged.

Ester stopped overthinking. He was obviously just wanting to show her the wine cellar. So she let him lead her and found herself walking through a wooden door at the back of the house. His grip on her tightened when they stepped into a dark and cold room. He must've sensed her discomfort.

"Wow." Ester gaped once Devon found the light switch and she was able to see how big that room actually was. It was at least the size of her living room.
"Right? I helped build this. We have over hundreds of centuries old liquor down here. Just the best of the best." Devon said, still holding Ester's hand while shoving his other one in his pocket.

"Now you're just showing off." She teased him with a scoff.
"No, I'm not. Just wanted to show you all the options. For example, this one." He pulled her towards a corner that had some brown liquor on a shelf. After reluctantly letting go of her hand, Devon opened a bottle, smelled it and let her have a whiff as well.

"That's strong." Ester refrained from coughing, making Devon chuckle before he took a sip. He gulped the burning sensation down with closed eyes.
"Here, try it." He thrust the bottle in her direction.

"I don't think so." Ester shook her head, not into brown liquor at all. And just from smelling it, she could tell it burned. Devon shrugged before taking another sip and closing the bottle. He placed it back on its original spot.

Whilst Devon did that, Ester looked around. She still thought being down here wasn't a good idea. She would however take a few sips of that red wine bottle that was smiling at her a few meters away. Devon caught her ogling the bottle and smirked before taking her hand again.

"I'm guessing you're more of a wine girl." He said whilst leading her towards the red wine. He dropped her hand again and opened a bottle.
"Are you sure this is alright?" Ester asked when he handed her the bottle after taking a sip himself.

"Not exactly, but who cares? Relax a little." His words instantly reminded Ester of her new years resolutions again. She did want to try new things and embrace challenges. And this was another thing she'll gladly embrace. So she took a sip of the wine, enjoying the rather velvety aftertaste.

"You like it?" Devon asked with awe at her obedience.
"It's good." Ester nodded and went to give it back.
"That's it?" He asked her with a raised eyebrow.

"No one's here. You can have another sip if you want." He crossed his arms over his chest. Ester silently scowled at him for discovering her secret love for red wine. She could drink these things like water without passing out. That's why she refrains from buying them. Great, now she sounded like an alcoholic.

But Ester took another gulp before closing the bottle and handing it back to Devon. But for some reason, the bottle slipped right through his grasp and fell onto the ground. The impact caused a loud noise and of course, the glass to break and the liquid to splatter against Devon's shoes and Ester's hem of her dress. Both jumped away after the damage was already done.

"Now that is going to be hard to miss." Devon murmured before messing up his hair in frustration. Ester's eyes were wide open when she looked at him to apologize.
"Oh my God. I am so sorry, Devon. I'll come up for the-"

"Nonsense. It was my fault, I didn't grab it tight enough. Let's just get out of here." Devon grabbed for her hand, but Ester stepped back.
"Get out of here? The least we can do is clean it up." She hissed.

"Right and with what? Look around you, love. We're not even supposed to be here." Devon growled, making Ester angry because he was right.
"Okay, but we need to tell your mom." She took his hand and let him lead her out again.