26. Change

"Oh, mom is so going to love this." Sierra said the next week. Ester and Devon stopped dancing and gasped for air after breaking apart.

"I hope so, because if we do one more move, I'll collapse on the floor." Devon said before actually laying down on the floor. Ester let out a breath of amusement.

"Agreed." She said, sitting down graciously. She was aware of Devon's eyes on her, but didn't say anything as she looked up at Sierra. Her friend simply rolled her eyes and stepped closer to them.

"Well, that can easily be solved. I order both of you to jog every morning for your stamina." As soon as the words left her mouth, Devon sat up and Ester shook her head.
"Don't fight me on this. It's healthy and will help." Sierra shrugged.

"But I have work every day." Ester counted with another shake of her head.
"You wake up earlier." Sierra shrugged again.

"Earlier than 7:30?" Ester didn't like that idea but Sierra nodded.
"You can start with only 30 minutes of jogging. Set your alarm for 6:30 a.m. So you'll have time to shower and do your thing until you actually have to leave for work." Sierra said before looking at Devon.

"And you could also set your alarm for 6:30 and keep her company." Sierra shrugged another time, acting too casual for Devon's liking.
"Keep her company?" He raised an eyebrow. Was his sister okay?

"Yeah, you're partners now. You ought to connect a little more." When she shrugged again, even Ester was alarmed.
"Connect." She said it more like a statement than a question but Sierra nodded anyways.

When it was quiet for a while and the two only stared at her in suspicion, Sierra sighed and placed her hands on her hips.
"I'm your instructor and that's my instruction. Follow it and see the results. You'll thank me by the time you have to dance at the wedding." She stated before walking over to her stuff.

"Anyways, tonight's lesson is over. Don't wait for me. I need to do a few things in my office." With that, Sierra walked out of the ballroom.

"Is it just me or does she seem weird?" Devon eventually asked and Ester glanced at him.
"Weird?" Ester knew exactly what he meant but wanted to hear his opinion. After all, he knew her for 24 years.

"Just weird. I don't know. Maybe she really just wants us to connect." He sighed before standing up. Ester silently nodded and looked at her shoes. They still looked brand new even though she's been using them for a week now.

Devon never said anything about her new attire, but she felt his attitude change towards her. She figured that was mainly because of his apology though. She didn't even know why she was seeking a compliment from him. She was currently really confused about Devon Stone.

Because he's been nice all week and when they had to hold eye contact for the dance, he often smiled at her and she felt herself blush like a schoolgirl. It also didn't help that her secret admirer and her were getting along just fine. And she was definitely also having mixed feelings about him. Could it be Devon? There was nothing telling her that it couldn't be him. There were actually more signs that it could be him rather than anybody else.

"Are you okay?" Ester suddenly heard and looked up to see Devon standing in front of her, his hands placed on his hips. Ester gulped when she realized his shirt has risen a bit and she could see part of his v-line. Was he aware of that? Did he do that on purpose?

"Yeah, I'm fine." Ester quickly stood up and walked over towards her purse. She heard his footsteps following her but acted nonchalant about it.

"So I guess you'll be driving with me tonight." He said and Ester realized it just now. She has been driving with Sierra after dance every day because the bus wasn't coming this late anymore.
"I don't have to, Devon." She felt like a bother.