36. Night

Ester laid in bed hours later. As she felt the smooth silk of the bedsheets and the clean smell of the pillow, she asked herself how the heck she ended up here.

Here, in a guest room in Martha's mansion. With Devon, Sierra and Mason sleeping just a few walls away. It felt weird, yet she felt cozy and safe. She'd called Olivia a few hours ago and told her that she'd stay the night, so her roommate didn't worry.

It might've been Olivia's reassuring words too, that made Ester feel at ease in this mansion. But she also knew she'd need a car soon. She couldn't depend on other people or the bus all the time. Because Sierra was drunk after the drinking game she played with Mason, who was also too drunk to drive home.

And then there was Devon, who did offer to take her home. But Martha quickly rejected his offer for her and announced a sleepover. So naturally, Ester said yes. There was just something about Martha that could make everybody jump whenever she demanded it. Ester aspired to be this woman.

She tossed and turned in bed again, sleep just not coming over her. Then she unlocked her phone and saw that it was already midnight. She should fall asleep soon, so she won't be the last one to wake up.

But as she was thinking this, she heard a light knock in her door. Even though it was light, her heart started racing and she sat up when the door opened slowly. There was still not much light in this room, since every lamp in this house was turned off, but she managed to make out the unmistakable silhouette of Devon.

"Ester?" He asked softly.
"Devon?" She answered and it seemed to relieve him.
"Good, you're awake. Can I come in?" He asked Ester, who nodded.

"I just-" He started as he stepped in and closed the door behind him.
"-wanted to ask you if everything was alright. After Alejandro's speech, you seemed to be avoiding me. I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. And I couldn't sleep until I told you this." He said, still standing on his spot by the door.

"It's fine, Devon. I just felt weird, but he was just joking I know that. Don't worry." Ester said, making Devon nod.
"Alright. Well, that's all I had to say." There was a short pause.
"Good night." He then said and Ester saw him open the door.

"Wait." She said, not knowing what possessed her to do that. But Devon heard her and turned around.
"Yes?" He asked. Ester had a lot to ask after tonight, but didn't know where to start.

"Well, did you tell your parents about the broken bottle?" She decided to ask that. Devon closed the door again and took a few steps towards Ester on the bed.
"I plan on it. Tomorrow, I promise. But we all just kind of forgot the time tonight." He sounded closer, Ester was very aware of that.

"Oh." Was all she said, causing Devon to frown. That's it?
"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked her again.
"Yes, just thinking." She admitted, not wanting him to leave her alone just yet.

"About what?" He asked her.
"Tonight. The dinner was amazing. I really enjoyed it, thanks." Ester said and Devon chuckled in amusement.
"Why'd you thank me?" He sounded even closer now.

"I don't know. I'm just thankful for tonight." She said honestly. That reminded Devon of her words at dinner. It made him curious about her family. Did she have siblings? Was her family big or small? Where was she even born?

"Do you live with your parents?" Before he could ask something, Ester asked him.
"Hell no. I wouldn't survive a week with Alejandro." Devon shook his head. He was starting to finally see Ester in the dark and he knew she could too, since she was looking up at him with those big eyes.

"He does sound like a handful." She laughed, making Devon nod.
"He is. Don't let his size fool you." He joked, making Ester giggle. God, she was beautiful.
"How is your family?"