15. Realization

"Devon Edmund Stone!"

Those three words made Devon open his eyes in a heartbeat. He'd fallen asleep on the floor and was groaning in pain when he woke up. He rubbed his eyes and looked around. When his gaze caught a sight he never expected, his eyes widened and he gulped in fear.

"What do you think you're doing with your life? Is this why I let you grow inside of me for nine months until you were big enough to tear me apart when you got out?!" His mother shouted and Devon quickly raised to his feet.

"Answer me!" She yelled and Devon flinched before lowering his head in shame.
"No, mother." He murmured.

"I can't believe you. What did I do wrong?" She snapped before turning towards officer June who was standing behind her, Mason right next to him. Devon gave his best friend the hardest glare he could muster. What a fucking best friend!

"Let my son out, this instant." Martha Stone demanded and June hurried to obey her wish. He did not want to be part of her wrath. Officer June always admired the rich but he sure as hell didn't want to be in Devon's skin tonight.

"You fucking-" Was the first thing Devon said as soon as he got out of the cell. But his words were cut short when he felt sharp pain in his ear. His mother had gripped his left ear tight and pulled on it, dragging him out of the police station.

"Ow! Mom, please!" Devon moaned all the way and he saw some police officers turn their way with bemused or shocked facial expressions. He growled at the former and his mother only pulled harder.

"You can be lucky I was home from vacation when Mason called me." Finally, Martha let his, by now red and swollen ear go. Devon took a deep breath and took a step back from his mother.

"Thank you for calling me, Mason. But I can take it from here." Devon saw Mason hesitate to leave. And then he saw his supposed friend shake his head and stepped closer to the angry man in front of him.

"Devon, I-"
"Get out of my sight, you fucking traitor." Devon growled.
"Devon!" His mother snapped.
"No, it's fine Martha. Really, I deserve it." Mason clenched his jaw before leaning closer to Devon, so only he could hear his next words.

"That was the fourth time in a month that I bailed you out of this fucking police station, Devon. Whatever that girl did to you, talk to someone about it. I'm getting frustrated." Mason said, making Devon narrow his eyes at him.

"It doesn't have anything to do with her!" Devon growled loudly, making Mason shake his head.
"Remember the first step to recovery is acceptance. Not denial." With that, he stepped away and turned around.

"You're a fucking bastard who doesn't even know what he's talking about. Get away from me. I don't even need a friend like you." Devon shouted after him and Mason turned around in his step.

"Get some sleep, Devon. We'll talk later." He patiently said, which only intensified Devon's anger. He stepped forward with the intention to hurt him. To punch his throat, make him double over and kick his face in the process.

But Devon stopped. He blinked twice and then again and again. Did he really just think that? This was Mason. They've been friends ever since kindergarten. They're like brothers for fuck's sake!

"Devon." He heard his mother's voice, so calming and familiar. As Devon watched his friend's back vanish into the darkness of the night, he realized what had happened in the past few weeks. In the last few years!

Ever since he lost his job, he hasn't been himself. He knew that all along and hoped he could just forget about the past when he moved back here. But he couldn't, he was still hung up on that. He had to change.

He had to change a lot. And if asking for help was hurting his pride, then hell. He'd fucking hurt his pride for it was already damaged. Driving drunk? Five times he found himself in this position. Just without his mother, whose eyes had the most disappointed look he's ever seen.

So in a way, he was glad Mason called his mother. The only woman who could calm him, make him feel loved and appreciated even though he knew that wasn't true. No one liked him. No one ever fucking cared for him, except his mother.

So it took him a while to look back into her eyes. And when he did, the disappointed look was replaced by a shocked one.
"Oh, honey." Martha said softly, reaching up and pulling his face into the crook of her neck.

Devon's body shook slightly as he let the tears fall. He circled his arms around his mother's frame as her familiar homey scent surrounded him. He felt safe. For now, he felt safe.

Martha Stone was shocked when she saw her son's teary eyes. In that moment, he looked the most vulnerable he's ever had. She knew there was a lot bothering him, but he never even showed any emotions.

For others, he's always been the mean boy next door. The devil or the monster, as many described him. But he's always been her little mischievous boy. The same boy who accidentally woke her up with a glass of cold water in her face, because he tripped over the carpet when he was seven.

The same young boy who helped her bake cakes and cookies, just so he could lick the spoon after. The same sweet boy that made her laugh whenever he accidentally stomped on his sister's foot while dancing for her. He was all that and so much more.

On other occasions, she would've been ecstatic to hear his next word. But all she could feel was heartbroken when he continuously whimpered.

"Mommy." His voice sounded so broken and confused.

It shattered her heart into pieces.