43. Heartless

"I don't think he's coming tonight." Ester said, glancing at Sierra again.

The two young women were standing inside the ballroom, waiting for Devon to arrive. Ester was sure he was not going to come, but came in order to spend some time with Sierra. It felt like ever since her and Devon started dating, Sierra got kind of pushed into the far corner of her attention.

"I'll try calling him again." Sierra frowned at her phone as she dialed her older brother for the nth time that day. Once again, his voicemail reached her ears and she sighed before hanging up again.

"Well, I'm sorry. He didn't tell me. In fact, I haven't heard from him in a while." Sierra thought out loud and Ester felt guilty for that. She was not a fan of the idea to go behind Sierra's back. But she just happened to completely forget it during her time with Devon. And now a weekend after what happened, she felt insanely guilty.

"Maybe he's busy." Ester shrugged as she walked back to her purse.
"Probably. He works a lot these days." Again, a pang of guilt hit Ester.

"Well, maybe tomorrow. What do you say to dinner at your mom's restaurant tonight? We haven't done that in a while." Ester smiled back at Sierra, who nodded.
"You're right, we haven't. I'll just quickly turn off the computer in my office and then we're good to go." Sierra said, making Ester nod.

She watched Sierra walk out of the ballroom, unaware of Sierra's suspicious thoughts. Devon's little sister knew that something happened between the two. She had watched them act like love doves in front of her and now he was suddenly too busy.

They must've had a fight or an argument, Sierra knew. And she still had to talk to them. She had promised her mother to tell them that she knew that they were dating and that it was okay. Sierra was afraid their fight was about her but something in the back of her mind told her it wasn't.

But just to be sure, she wanted to talk to him asap. Even if she had to visit him at home. As Sierra walked into her office, she saw the computer was already off. She felt bad for lying to Ester, but had to call her brother one more time.

"Hey, it's me Sierra. Your sister, in case you forgot. Ester and I are going out to eat at mom's restaurant and we wondered if you wanted to come. Please do, we haven't eaten together in a while. Well, that's all I wanted to say. Love you, bye." She spoke into his voicemail and hoped Devon would get it.

Then Sierra walked out of her office, locked it and walked back to meet Ester, who was standing in front of the ballroom door. The girls smiled at each other and walked towards Sierra's car together.

"How is work?" Sierra and Ester made small talk all the way to the restaurant and both realized they did miss each other. It literally felt like a lifetime since they sat down and talked. Ester planned on picking up that habit again. She could not let Devon consume most of her time, she thought.

The dinner went great but Sierra was greatly disappointed to know her brother did not come. It felt like a lifetime since she's seen him and she was afraid she was the reason for it. If they wouldn't feel the need to hide from her, since Sierra first prohibited them to date, maybe they would've spend more time together.

But now that Devon was not calling back and Sierra didn't want to tell Ester only, she still had to wait until their secret meetings would stop. Man, she should've told them earlier. Sierra knew that now but could not change the past.

After Sierra had dropped her off, Ester was laying in her bed with a heavy heart again. All weekend long, she was in a bad mood and her feelings were all over the place. Devon and her hadn't talked in two days.

She wanted to call him so many times but was afraid he wouldn't pick up. Ester groaned and placed a pillow over her face. Then she screamed as loud as she could, the pillow muffling her sounds.