24. Confusion

Awkward silence surrounded Ester and Devon as they stood on the side of the road. Sierra's car was long out of sight, yet no one moved a muscle.

"Well, shall we?" Devon eventually said as he glanced at the woman next to him. Ester simply nodded in return and walked past him, but stopped soon enough. Where was his car?
When she turned around to look at Devon, she saw his amused smirk. He was trying hard not to laugh at her and she narrowed her eyes at him as the blush started to creep up her cheeks.

"Where's your car?" She asked him.
"I parked it in the garage." He gestured for her to follow him as he lead the way. Ester wondered why he parked it in the garage if there was so much space right in front of the studio. But she figured three hours ago, when more people were here, there was no space.

They silently walked into the garage and Devon waited by the passenger side of the car until Ester finally reached him. To her utter shock, he opened the door and waited for her to get in. He was acting weird, Ester thought as she graciously climbed inside his sports car. She murmured a small 'thank you' and watched him nod before he closed the door. Then he walked around the car and got inside.

"Seat belt." He simply ordered before starting the engine. Ester quickly put her seat belt on and tried to act indifferent about the way he placed his arm around her seat and looked behind them as he pulled out of the parking spot.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pants and her heart picked up speed. If that was her secret admirer, there was no way it was Devon. He was here with her. That was good, wasn't it? She didn't even like Devon. Not at all. So why was she threading to open the text?

Ugh, Ester inwardly hissed and fished out her phone. Something in her sparked when she read Olivia's name and not her secret admirer's. She quickly replied to Olivia's concerns and told her that she was on her way home and there was no need to wait for her.

Then she shoved her phone back into her pockets and looked out of the window. Again, Devon never turned the radio on, so silence was all that surrounded them. Ester wasn't sure if it was comfortable or uncomfortable. But when she glanced at him and saw how comfortable he drove, with an arm resting on the window frame, she realized it was better than bickering.

Devon on the the other hand, was thinking about whether he should start a conversation or not. As they stopped at a red light, he dared to glance at his passenger. She didn't see it, since her face was turned into the other direction.

He studied her, watched her chest heave as she breathed. How her long hair was loosely tied in a bun on top of her head. Her side profile and how her nose was covered in freckles. Then her lips and how they rubbed against each other when she talked. When she talked?

"It's green." That pulled him out of it as his eyes suddenly met hers. He had yet to see what exact colour her eyes were, but quickly looked away after realizing what she said. It was green, so he resumed driving.

Ester slightly narrowed her eyes at him. He was indeed acting weird tonight, she thought. But catching Devon Stone stare at her, made her feel some type of way. He was after all, really handsome.

Devon felt embarrassed after being caught. He made sure to refrain from looking at her when they stumbled upon another red light. This time, he just let his head rest against his hand that was propped up on the window frame whilst his other hand was playing drums on the steering wheel.

Ester noted how he remembered her address. And how her secret admirer was yet to text her. It seemed like whenever Devon was with her, she never got a text from that admirer of hers. Which was really suspicious to her.

"Did I miss your street?" Devon asked, finally deciding that this silence was unnerving. Ester sat up straight and looked around her. It was dark, but she was sure he didn't miss the street yet.
"Uh, no. I think you still have a few meters before you have to turn left."

"Oh. I could've sworn I took the other corner last time." He continued, feigning ignorance.
"Could be. There are many ways, I guess. But this one is the most familiar to me." Ester shrugged as the light turned green again.

"Okay." Devon said before continuing to drive. Well, at least she didn't snap at him, Devon thought. Like last time when they were in his car. But if he was being honest with himself, he couldn't blame her. He has been acting like the biggest asshole. It's going to be hard to change her opinion about him.

"You remember last time when I drove you home?" Ester heard him say after a few seconds of silence and was instantly reminded of the sickening ride home. She looked at Devon and nodded.

"And it's still not funny. So if you plan on speeding again, I-"
"I'm not, trust me." Devon quickly interrupted, sensing the tension. Ester lifted an eyebrow towards him in question. Why would he bring it up then?

"Anyways, I wanted to apologize for that." He shrugged while apologizing, acting nonchalant about it. But Ester knew from just the little time she knew Devon, that him saying sorry was a big deal. She couldn't help herself from gaping at him.

"What?" Devon glanced at her.
"I know when I'm being an asshole, Ester. And I've been a big asshole towards you ever since we met." He continued and then turned left. He could see her building and sighed when he realized he wanted to say more. But the time was running short.

"I hope you accept my apology anyways." He finished when he finally parked in front of her apartment complex and turned to look at her.

Ester blinked twice before getting a hold of herself. She was speechless, not really knowing how to act around this side of him. Was he being serious? He sure as hell looked and sounded serious. Should she apologize too?

"Well, I haven't always been an easy dance partner either." She wasn't exactly apologizing but it was a start. Devon chuckled lightly before shaking his head in amusement.
"I guess you haven't. But to be fair, I didn't give you much chance." He looked up at her, those emerald orbs boring into her eyes.

Until they traveled down towards her lips. Ester gulped and almost instinctively licked her lips. She saw his eyebrow twitch before he slowly licked his lips too. Did it just get hot in here?

Ester could practically see his inner fight with himself as she was just waiting for his next move. And when he finally did, she breathed out in relief. Ester didn't even realize she was holding her breath until she felt herself almost gasping for air.

"Anyways, we're here." Devon leaned back when he said that, remembering his sister's reaction when he almost kissed Ester. Hell, what the fuck was he even doing? Being nice was one thing, but trying to kiss her was a whole other thing.

"You're right. Uh, thanks for the ride." Ester quickly said and climbed outside. Only after Devon shook his head and her scent slowly left his car, did he come back to his senses.

Damn it, he should've opened the door for her.