My Brothers Bestfriend 10

The bell rings and I force myself to stop crying. Pushing past my fellow laughing, gleeful students, I make my way to the girl's bathroom. I'm not the type of girl to bring my make up to school, or to have a brush handy in my bag, or to have wet wipes. My appearance is atrocious. After five unsuccessful minutes of trying to better my face, I give up and decide to fake a sickie.

As I walk to the office I conclude that a stomach ache will likely be the best excuse. When I get there, Laurel - the office lady - asks me what's wrong and I freeze. I never lie, how can I start lying now? What do I say again? What am I dying from? Oh God, she's not going to believe me!

"Kasey, are you okay?" Her kind voice breaks through my inner freak out session.

"I'm okay, I just..." My words come out awkwardly. "I just don't feel well!"

"Okay, love, tell me what's wrong?" She says patiently, pulling a green slip of paper out of one of her draws.

"I just vomited," I lie, pulling a disgruntled face. "And my stomach is killing me,"

"I just had a few boys go home from the same symptoms," I watch as she fills out the slip and signs it. "Something might be going around. Go home and take some medicine, Kasey,"

After thanking Laurel I rush back to my locker and grab what I need before leaving the school building. I'm still shaking, nervous that I'll be caught lying. I look around the car park and sigh. Jacob will be in class so I have no option other than to walk. I sling my bag over my shoulder and head home.

&~

I'm thankful that the street is deserted because my eyes won't stop leaking tears. I open the door and slam it shut behind me, falling onto the couch as a sob escapes me. What am I going to do? I was stupid to think I'd be able to handle Matthew on my own, how in the world will I be able to get those pictures back?

I just want Caleb. That thought releases a whole new wave of tears and I wipe my eyes furiously, trying to control my heaving breaths.

I feel arms enclose me and I whip my head around to see Jacob.

"Kasey what's happened?" He asks quickly, his voice laced with concern. "What's the matter with you?"

My thoughts are scrambled and I can't get my head straight enough to even think of a lie to tell him. Instead, I choke out through my sobs, "Why are you home?"

"Caleb and I decided to come home early to set up for the party," He says quickly. "Why else would we be here?"

I begin to hyperventilate and I try to push him away from me. "For all," I hiccough and have to start again. "For all I knew you could have been sick!"

"Well I'm not!" He says loudly. "What's wrong, Kasey? Please!"

"Nothing," I move to stand up but he pulls me back down.

"You're a mess, I've never once seen you like this," His voice is pained and I can tell he's distressed. "Please tell me if something's wrong. Was it a boy?"

I stiffen and in turn he scoffs. "No, Jake, I'm fine," I insist quickly. "I promise,"

"Who?" He asks through gritted teeth.

How am I supposed to tell him that I'm in love with his best friend, but that doesn't really matter because the boy who almost raped me has now decided to black mail me with naked pictures that he took of me today in the science class rooms, in order to force me to break that best friend's heart?

Before I can think of a lie that is less damageable than the truth, the front door bangs open and Caleb strolls in. "I've got the alcohol!" He calls as he enters the room. As soon as he looks at me I look away.

"I'll talk to you later, Jacob," I whisper, squeezing his hand. I stand from the couch, grab my backpack and ignore both of their stares as I climb the stairs. I'm so not looking forward to tonight.