My Brothers Bestfriend 12

I run down the stairs quickly, managing to beat my previous record by taking three steps a time. In the kitchen Jacob is, unsurprisingly, chugging down what appears to be his fourth beer already, judging by the pile of empty cans next to him.

"Wassup!" I drag the word out, sticking my tongue between my lips and shaking my head, mimicking Scream.

Jacob laughs wholeheartedly, snorting as his beer goes down the wrong way. From the corner of my eye I see Caleb smirk before he composes his face, a small shiver washes over me. I love that I can amuse him.

The boys don't usually ever need me before a party. Rarely, but sometimes, I do help them pack away the valuables that are scattered around our house, like mom's vases, and dad's football encases.

Really, I don't know why we bother putting away mom and dad's things, it's not like they're home often enough to realise if something is missing. I bite my lip as I realise that we care too much for people who care too little for us.

My eyes begin tearing again but it doesn't matter, because half a second later I'm saturated from head to toe in freezing cold water.

"What the fuck?" I scream through chattering teeth. I zone in on the two boys in front of me who are shaking with laughter, tears in their eyes.

"You have to stop," Jacob begins before looking at me and bursting into laughter again. "Stop going off into la la land!"

I pick up a few of the empty beers and toss them at both boys, not caring that Caleb and I aren't talking at the moment. If he thinks it's funny that I'm covered in cold water, then I think that he deserves to be hit in the head a few times, too.

I glare at them before turning and leaving the kitchen, but before I can begin the stairs one of them grabs my upper arm. "What?" I snap loudly, right into Caleb's face. His eyes widen and he hastily removes his grip from my arm, only just realising his mistake. I raise my eyebrow. "Well? What the hell do you want?"

I know I shouldn't be snapping at Caleb because I'm the one who has hurt him, not the opposite way. But I can't help but get mad when I think about him, because I can't be with him, because I can't tell him, because he must hate me.

"Jacob needs to speak to you!" He snaps back at me. He takes a deep breath before turning and leaving me in the foyer.

After a few moments of trying to calm down, I unwillingly follow him back into the kitchen.

"Little sis!" Jacob exclaims loudly when I enter the kitchen again. "I haven't even spoken to you yet, don't go running off like a sook,"

"You threw cold water at me!" I scoff. "Of course I don't want to be anywhere near you right now,"

"Look," He says hurriedly. "After what happened the other night I'm worried about you. I'm going to be drinking but I've asked Caleb not to,"

I raise my eyebrows and stare at my brother, wondering where he's going with this. "What's your point?"

"I want you," He says as he looks at Caleb. "To look out for her," He nods at me. "And I want you," He narrows his eyes at me. "To accept that,"

"Dude, come on," Caleb sighs. "She doesn't need a babysitter,"

I bite my lip, closing my eyes to calm down for a second. So I'm a burden on Caleb now, am I?

"Caleb is right," I frown. "I won't need anybody to look out for me. Besides, I plan on staying upstairs the whole night anyway,"

"Yeah right," Jacob rolls his eyes. "You'll have to come downstairs eventually, for one reason or another,"

"Even if I do, I won't be staying down here!" I point out, desperate for Jake to relent on his decision. But as usual, he's stubborn and doesn't give up.

"No!" He snaps angrily. "I'm sorry but Caleb agreed to stay sober tonight to help me out-"

"I didn't know this was why, though," He sulks from beside my brother, but Jacob ignores him.

"And you need to be watched. No negotiations, Kasey," Jake says, the finality clear in his tone. His face splits into a boyish grin. "Besides, I've been meaning to try my luck with Danielle, and tonight's the night,"

"Oh, ew!" I shudder. "You're disgusting,"

"That's life, little sister," He chuckles.

"So if I go and find a boy to try my luck on," I begin, a smirk falling onto my face.

"No!" He snaps, his amusement longs gone. "That's different! I do want you to stay upstairs tonight, don't come down at all,"

I roll my eyes. "Double standards,"

"I'm a boy!" He says loudly, as if I need reminding.

"Girls have the same needs," I sing teasingly.

"Stop that!" Jacob scoffs, throwing the can I'd thrown at him back at me. "Girls are meant to be respectful,"

I snort as I turn away from them. "Like all the girls you fuck are anything close to respectful, Jake,"

"Virgin!" He snaps. "And it better stay that way,"

I ignore his overbearing-brother comments and head back upstairs.