My Brothers Bestfriend 20

I walk out of my bedroom with my head held high, but I only make it down two steps before common sense hits me and my fake bubble of confidence bursts.

"I can't tell him, Stef," I whisper quickly, turning to face her unexpectedly. She bumps into me but manages to stop me from falling down the stairs.

She narrows her eyes, huffing. "We're sticking to this," She says firmly, taking my hand from the banister and gripping it firmly. "I'm not letting you backdown. You know you need to tell him,"

I shake my head. "I don't know, Stefanie. Maybe what he doesn't know won't hurt him,"

"It will hurt everybody when Matt keeps pushing and pushing," She says slowly, her eyes wide. "He won't stop, Kasey. You need Jacob,"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "You're right,"

"I usually am," She teases gently. She pushes past me, not letting my hand go. "Come on,"

When we get to the bottom floor I hear the boys' voices sounding from the kitchen and my emotions hit the surface. I wipe at my leaking eyes furiously, unimpressed with their uncanny timing. Why must I cry so much?

"I think they have guests over," Stefanie mutters to me, pausing slightly before moving through the hallway.

"Great," I whisper shakily.

When we enter the kitchen Stef hides our connected hands behind her back. Her head held high - opposite to my stare which is focused on the tiles - she greets the boys.

"Hey guys," Her acting skills are on par as always; he voice is smooth and her tone is casual. I continue staring at the floor in order to hide my surely red eyes. "Jacob can I talk to you?"

"Kasey what's wrong?" Jacob asks, ignoring Stefanie altogether. I look up, caught unawares by his straightforwardness. His face etched in concern, he moves towards me from his position at the counter. "Kase?"

"Um," I stutter awkwardly. My eyes drift to the other three boys in the room before finding Caleb. He stares at me with a frown on his face, his eyes narrowed slightly. He's nearly sure he knows exactly what's happening, and I nod my head slightly. He inches towards me before glancing at Jacob and seemingly thinking better. I look back at my brother, hesitating slightly. "Stefanie needs to talk to you,"

"It can wait," He snaps before coming over and holding me at arms length. He looks over me completely, searching for any indication that I've been hurt. "Does this involve what happened to your face the other day?

I look away from him and towards Stefanie, begging her for her help.

She takes a deep breath before pushing my brother off of me and glaring at him. "I said I need to talk to you," She says loudly. "Don't ever ignore me,"

Jacob does a double take on Stefanie, his eyes wide with shock. Nearly inconspicuously, his eyes travel down her body before quickly meeting her stare again. "Okay," He mumbles. "Lead the way,"

I watch in amazement as my brother trails behind her like a lost puppy. She leads him upstairs.

Stefanie's P.O.V

For some stupid reason I take Jacob's hand in mine as we climb the stairs, similar to how I clung to Kasey's. I blush harder than I ever have before but refuse to let it go; I want to squeal with glee when he squeezes it slightly.

I lead us into the spare bedroom, feeling a slight twinge of regret for not heading into his room. My cheeks redden again at my wayward thoughts. I need to stop thinking about him like this.

I spin around abruptly and drop his hand. He leans against the wall and raises his eyebrow. "Why've you dragged me up here?" He asks quietly before smirking. "Is it because of my impeccable good looks?"