Prologue

"Hello Director" A cold voice spoke.

"Hello Agent Carolina." The Director's Southern voice drawled. His eyes were glued to the screen in front of him, watching an video of a woman he loved and lost. "Would you like to watch this file with me?"

"No" Agent Carolina answered.

"Play it again FILSS." He ordered.

"Director-" FILSS began.

"Again." The Director said, more sharply.

Carolina walked up to his deck and shook her head. "So this is what you've become."

"I just need to watch this," The Director sobbed, bowing his sadly. "I think I have a way.. a way to bring her back right this this."

"The authorities are hunting you now," Carolina insisted. "If I found you, they will too."

The Director lifted up his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "I just need a bit more time..."

"No!" A glowing Sapphire-Blue appeared on his desk and glared at him. "You've had your freaking time. You have to answer to what you did: to the Meta, to Washington, to Carolina, to me, and to her! To Texas!"

The Director turned to the figure. "Hello Epsilon. You came all this way just to see me?"

"I'm here to remember what you've done!" Epsilon sneered. "Somebody has to!"

Agent Carolina stepped closer. "Church.."

"Not all of us got off scot-free Carolina." Epsilon ranted, his body shifted into different colors and his voice took different edges.

First, he was green and his voice because soft and electronic. "He was brilliant.."

Then he shifted to red with blue and his voice became child-like. "And we trusted him..."

He turned sky-blue and he spoke on jerky vocal patterns. "But he LIED to us..."

Then he went black and his voice became deep and more aggressive. "He twisted and tortured us and used us!"

Then he bursted into flames and he spoke with another voice overlapping his. "Manipulated us for his own purposes and for what? For this? This.. SHADOW?!

Finally, he became his normal self. "He needs to pay."

Carolina was silent for a moment. She took off her helmet and stared at the Director, her green eyes narrowed in spite. The Director slowly removed his glasses and looked at her, his own green eyes staring her with plea and grief.

For a while, Carolina glared at him. But the more she looked, the less angry she was at him. She realized how broken he had been since Allison's death..

Since the death of her mother.

She felt nothing but pity for him. Instead of doing what she came here to actually do, she bent down and kissed him softly on the forehead.

"Just a little more time.." the Director murmured.

Carolina turned to Epsilon. "Come on Church.. We're leaving."

Epsilon stared at her, confused. "I thought we came all this way to kill him?"

"Church remember what you learned in the memory unit? You need to let go. Your past doesn't define you who you are. It just gives you a starting point of who you're going to be."

As she turned to leave, the Director place his hand on her arm. "Agent Carolina?"

"Yes Director?"

"Would you be so kind to leave me your pistol?"

The former Freelancer stares at him for a brief second before pulling out the gun and placing it on his desk. 

"Thank you Carolina."

"Goodbye Sir." Carolina whispers. She turns and walks out of the room.

He watched her go and bowed his head."You were my greatest creation..."

"I don't what I am," Epsilon snarled, "But I do know this: I'm more than just a copy of you. I'm better than you."

"I wasn't speaking to you." The Director says sadly.

Epsilon just turned and followed Carolina out of the room.

The Director looked back at the screen. "Play it again FILSS."

"Beginning playback," FILSS answered.

The video started from the beginning. "Thank you FILSS." The Director says as he watches the video. "Now, I would like you to erase all our files except this one."

"All our files?" FILSS asked surprised. "Does that include me, Director?"

The Director sighed. "It has been a pleasure working with you, FILSS. I am sorry."

"And you as well, Director."

"And before you do, please shut down all the facility systems as well. Take everything offline."

"Director, this is a sealed facility," FILSS exclaims. "If I shut down all the systems, life support would not-"

"Thanks you FILSS," He interrupts. "Shut them all down. Lock me in."

FILSS was silent for a moment. "Alright."

All around the facility, shutters began to slide down, teleporters switched off, and screens went black.

As the door behind him began to slide shut, FILSS spoke up. " Was the Project a success? Did you find what you were looking for?"

"No." The Director sighed. "No, I did not. But I believe I might have come very close. I wish.. I wish I knew."

"I see."

"Perhaps the next time around..."

"It's been an honor, Sir."

With that, FILSS faded away from the screen and the door sealed shut, leaving the Director in the dark, with Allison's voice speaking to him one last time.

"Don't say goodbye. I hate goodbyes..."