Chapter 6

Secure Facility
Present Day

"FILSS, do you know where the Alpha A.I. is?" I demanded. Ever since my last few missions with him during Project Freelancer, I've grown quite a bond with him. We made a great team out on the battlefield even though my team didn't know that I was using an A.I.

But FILSS doesn't respond to my demand so I ask again.

"FILSS, where is Alpha?"

***

A Resistance Base
Many years ago

"How's security looking?" I ask Alpha as I use my sniper rifle to scout a Resistance base. It was 10 stories high with very little entry points. Insurrectionist soldiers were everywhere, patrolling the perimeter.

"A patrol of 2 comes by our entry point every 40 seconds." Alpha says, appearing beside me holding his sniper rifle. "The area we need to get to is on the sixth floor and has about three times the guards than the other rooms. You can thank South for that."

Even though their mission was "successful", South activated the alarm while getting intel about the cell group. From what I heard, there were so many soldiers surrounding the Twins, that Agent Carolina had to step in.

"Is it going to be a problem?"

"Nah, they are half trained. Most don't know how to handle a gun correctly." Came the reply.

Half trained? That doesn't seem like the Resistance to put half trained soldiers to guard very valuable equipment.

"Are you sure that the objective is in there?" I asked.

"From the files the Director gave me, it should be there."

"Scan again." I ordered. "Look for high energy readings that match a Hard-Light Shield."

"Scanning..." Alpha was quiet for a moment. "They moved the objective up two floors and with a squad of very highly trained soldiers."

Ah yep, there's the Resistance I know. "That sounds more like it."

"You bet. I'm running a scenerio right now and uploading it to your hub... Now."

I run through the scenario Alpha uploaded. We sneak in through the lower entry points and use the stairs to reach the level the objective is on. Then try to stealth my way over to the room without raising any alarm and obtain the objective.

"I think this is a good plan." I put away my sniper and pull out my Battle Rifle. I'm relieved that the Director was kind enough to let me have two primary weapons instead of just a primary and a secondary. Makes my job a little easier in a sense.

 "You ready Alpha?" I asked my A.I.

"Yea but I have one favor to ask you." He puts away his sniper and crosses his arms.

"Ask away."

"Call me Church."

I look at him, confused. "Church? Isn't that the Director's last name?"

"Well," Church sighs. "I'm based off the Director's mind. It just doesn't seem right for my name to be Alpha if I have an actual name."

I smile. "Well that's an easy favor. Right Church, you ready?"

He looks at me and I can sense his gratitude. "Ready when you are."

"Then let's move out."

~~~

A enemy soldier falls to the ground, dead. I step over his body as I make my way quietly down the hall.

"I thought we were going to do this quietly." Church comments inside my head.

"Yea well someone didn't scan how frequent the patrols are on the floor with the objective." I replied back.

I managed to make my way to the eighth floor and now only a few doors down from where the objective is. I see 3 soldiers patrolling the hall so I hid behind a potted bush. I quickly set my BR to silent and right when they past me, I quickly fired at the patrol. Two shots killed two soldiers, but the last bullet jammed my gun.

"Crap.." I mutter under my breath. The remaining soldier looks at me surprised and raised her gun at me.

"Freez-" She doesn't finish her sentence as I knock the gun out of her hand doing an inside-crescent kick. She squealed in surprise and I landed a few punches on her before doing a jump 360 round kick to her head, thus knocking the poor soldier out.

"Did anyone hear anything Church?"

"Nope, you are all clear." Church replies.

"Good." I take out my sniper and start moving down the hall once again.

"What about your BR?" Church asks.

"I'm leaving it. It's just extra weight I have to carry. Besides, I think the Resistance would like to know who was here."

I reach the end of the hall and turn my back against a wall. If I turn left, the door to the objective would be there.. along with the elite team of soldiers by the entrance.

"How many are we dealing with?" I whisper to Church.

He answers. "Five at the entrance and two inside. I say that you activate your active camo and slip inside when the two soldiers inside break for lunch."

"And when are they breaking for lunch?" I ask.

"In one minute."

"What?! Activate the camo now."

"Activating." I can tell he did that on purpose because of his silent laughter in the back of my head.

My armor and sniper turn invisible. I quickly turn left and made my way quickly down to the door. I passed the soldiers guarding the entrance and crouch by the door. A few seconds later, the two soldiers from inside the room walk out. I quickly go through the door before it closes.

"Church-"

"Already done A. Doors are locked and no one knows that it is yet." Church appears by the door controls.

"Wow, you are quick."

"I take that as a compliment."

I dramatically roll my eyes and call Command, "This is Agent Alaska reporting in. We reached the room containing the objective."

"Good work Agent Alaska." The Director. "The objective should be somewhere in that room."

I walk around and find a crate labeled "Armor Enchantments". Bingo.

"I have the objective. I need extraction now." I radioed.

"Agent Alaska, this is 479er. I'm on my way."

I walk over to the crate and start looking through the abilities. One catches my eye.

Teleport.

Church appears beside me. "I know what your thinking. Go ahead and grab it. I'll delete it from the files."

I look at him in disbelief. "Are you serious? We could get in trouble."

"True." He says. "But if we don't have it in OUR file.."

I see where this is going. "Then how are we suppose to know that it was an Enchantment. Good idea Church."

"Like always." And with that he disappears.

I quickly set up the Teleport enhancement and stuff the rest of the Enchantments into a military backpack and sling it into my back. Suddenly, I hear a saw cutting through the door.

They know I'm here. "Karabast.." I mutter to myself.

"Isn't that from Star Wars?" Church asks me.

I take out my sniper and slap in a clip of ammo. "Yes, but can we talk about how many soldiers are about to come through?"

"We don't.. have to."

I had my trusty sniper pointed at the door separating me from the Resistance just for safety measures. "Explain."

"When I say 'mark', jump out of the window."

[Edited]