Chapter 18

Secured Facility
Present Day

I'm running blindly through the halls trying to find out where the fighting is. Then I remembered: FILSS.

"FILSS, guide me to the fight." I ordered.

"Of course. Take a left here-"

I quickly turned the corner and kept on running.

"Now another left-"

I turn left and the sounds of gunshots are getting louder.

"Just keep going straight, and you will be there." FILSS concludes her directions.

"Thanks FILSS." I run to the open door and do a quick scope of the battle.

Very.. colorful soldiers plus Agent Carolina, who is very much alive and not at the bottom of a cliff, are fighting an army of Texas robots.

Literally.

I quickly scan the group for Wash but I don't see the familiar steel and yellow agent anywhere.

Maybe FILSS had a glitch in her system and Wash is probably dead too.

A blue light shines in the middle of the group. I could only assume it was Epsilon trying to communicate with Tex.

I watched as a pretty skilled colbat soldier with yellow trim fight off as many as he can, but little does he know that there's three robots coming up on his blind spot.

Guess it's time to join the battle.

I teleport behind his back and shot the three in the head with my sniper. The soldier looked at me in surprise.

I nod my head to him and continue to snipe Tex robots.

"Well this is a nice surprise." Carolina welcomes me to the fight.

"You know me C. I always love a good fight." I reply.

"Good to have you back Alaska."

"Woah another freelancer?!" Said the orange soldier named Grif, according to the comm.

"Thank goodness! I thought we were going to die!!" Said the maroon one named Simmons.

The fight continued on for another minute. Then the robots short-circuited, and fell to the ground.

"Uh, you know you could have done that before I got punched in the nuts by twenty of them at once." Grif said.

"Yeah but where's the fun in that?" Joked the aqua/teal one.

"Nice goin' there Church. I guess sometimes little fairies really do make wishes come true." The red sargent praised.

"I coulda told you that." The pink one argued.

I laugh quietly to myself. These soldiers are pretty funny.

"So, I guess our work here is done?" Simmons asked.

"There's still the Director." The colbot one says. His voice sounds.. familiar.

"No. What comes next... Carolina and I need to do alone." Epsilon replies. He looks over at me. "I know you... We used to go on missions together. Well at least you and Alpha did."

"It's good to see you again Church." I smiled.

"You remembered." He said happily.

"Course I did."

"Church." Carolina says gently.

"Right. The mission." He studies me for a second. "I know what he did to you 'laska and let me tell ya, that's pretty messed up. Do you want to come with us to see the Direct?"

I thought about it for a second. Is this really what I want? I want to end the Project. Really I do. But if I killed him, then wouldn't I be just like him?

"No, I'm good. You guys go ahead." I answered.

Carolina nods, while Church disappears and walks towards a hallway. Some of the soldiers sat on the ground while some stand. They all had their helmets off so I was able to see their face. I also took off my helmet to show that I'm not as deadly as I seem.

The aqua soldier walks up behind me and smirks in my ear. "Hey baby, wanna sit on my lap while you wait? I can-"

"Tucker. Don't." The colbot soldier warned.

Tucker groans but doesn't really move. "You always ruin every Wash."

"I'm just saying. She can be pretty deadly."

"How do you know?" He challenges. "Was she like your mentor or something?"

I punch Tucker in the arm hard, making him yelp in surprise and pain.

"Don't disrespect your commanding officer." I tell him. "And yes, I did train Wash for a period of time."

"Wait SERIOUSLY?!"

Wash ignores his soldier and walks up to me."I need to talk to you. Please." His pleading eyes told me that he really wants to talk to me.

I look away. "Ok, let's find a quiet place."

We found our way up to the roof of the building. The sun was rising up over the horizon, bringing light into the world. Suddenly, Wash picks me up bridal-style.

"David." I laugh and hold on to his neck. He sit down and puts me on his lap

"I'm sorry." Wash murmurs in my ear. He lays his chin on my shoulder and closes his eyes. I turn my head. "David.. it's ok."

"But-"

"No buts. Now shut up you're ruining the moment." I curled up in his chest. I can tell he wanted to say more, but instead he wraps his arms around me. I miss being with him. I-

"You really do ruin everything Wash!! You stole my girl!!"

And there goes the moment.. again.

"Oh for the love of- TUCKER GET BACK INSIDE!!" Wash yells back.

"BUT-"

"SHE'S BEEN MINE SINCE THE PROJECT. NOW LEAVE."

"Screw you." Tucker walks off back inside.

He looks at me, ashamed. "I shouldn't of-"

I lean up and kiss him. He kisses back, pulling me closer to him. I break the kiss and say, "You're right. I have been yours since the Project."

He smiles and kisses me on the forehead. We continue to watch the sunrise, enjoying this moment together for the first time in years.

[Edited]