Chapter 2

My father just stared at me with no emotion and I'm completely scared about what is going through his head.

I turn to my potiential future boss. "Um, Dr. Leonard? Can you give us a minute?" 

"Of course." He and Mr. Price walk out of the room to the kitchen. 

"You want to join them." He asks in a quiet voice. 

"Yes dad, I do. I feel like this is the opportunity I've been waiting for." 

"But look at you now! You have a peaceful life and you have opportunities coming in the mail to be an intern for computer programming! You don't need to fight in this war! Your mom and brother can handle-" My father looks at me with pleading eyes.

"They can handle what!?" I yell in rage. "I haven't seen them since I was 12 and now I'm like what? 18? That's six freaken years!!! Six years of this craazzzyyy alien war." I point to the kitchen. "If they are here, ASKING for MY help, I should help them the best way I can and make a difference so that this stupid war is over and everyone can come home," I lower my head and closed my eyes. "And be one big happy family like it used to be."

I hear my father sigh and then say something I didn't expect him to say. "Then go."

I lifted my head and looked at my father. Usually he would put up a fight, convince me that I shouldn't do this. This is out of the ordinary for him.

"R-Really?" I stuttered. 

"If you want to make a difference.." He gives me a sad smile. 

I launch myself him and throw my arms around him. "Thank you so much!"

His arms wrap around me tight as if he doesn't want to let me go. He slowly breaks the hug and his hands are on my shoulder. He's on the edge of crying, I can tell. "Stay safe and if you see your mom or your brother, let me know."

"I will and I promise to end this war."

~~~

Mother of Invention

"Welcome to Project Freelancer." The Director says walking off the Pelican. After saying goodbye to my father for the millionth time, we had boarded this Pelican aircraft, which I don't know why the UNSC decided to call it that, and flew for about 5 hours to get to the Mother of Invention, the home base of Project Freelancer.

Oh yea did I mention that they decided on the Pelican that they were going to name the program Project Freelancer? I wonder who gave them THAT idea..

 I follow him and the Counselor through the hanger, to the many halls, and finally in a lab where doctors in white coats were waiting beside a suit of armor. It was a Centurion style suit that was mostly white with a slight touch of a light shade of gray.

"This will be your armor for training and missions." The Counselor explains holding a data pad. 

"Cool..." I whisper in awe. I can't wait to try the suit on.. it looks so cool.

The Counselor smiles. "Indeed. We will also be going by code names. You would be know as Agent Alaska."

I smiled at his choice of name for me. "Is that because I'm from Alaska? Very creative."

"Counselor, we have more appointments to attend to." The Director says with his arms behind his back.

"Yes Director." He hands off his data pad to one of the doctors and turned to me. "They will show you how to strap into your suit and how to take care of it. After that, you are free to explore the ship. Any questions?"

"Um, where would be my room?"

"You will see where your room is once you put on your helmet. It's has a map of the ship stored inside. Do you have anymore questions?" 

"No sir."

He smiles. "Good. Then I leave you in good hands." And with that he follows the Director out of the room.

"Ms. Brown-"

I turn around to see the doctor behind me with the Counselor's data pad. "It's Agent Alaska now." I told the doctor.

He looks up from the data pad and stares at me. "Making yourself an official freelancer now are you?" 

I stare at him back. "You heard the Counselor: My name is now Agent Alaska."

He smirks. "Well your name is still Abigail Brown, until you put on that armor. Then you can start calling yourself whatever code name you want."

I just roll my eyes which makes him laugh. "So Ms. Brown, are you ready to begin your life as a freelancer?"

I stare at the suit, thinking about what could possibly lie ahead of me. "More than you know."

[Edited]