Chapter 7

Secured Facility
Present Day

"I'm sorry Agent Alaska," FILSS finally replies. "But the Alpha was destroyed in an EMP blast with most of his fragments." 

She knows that I had a strong connection with Church. And you can guess that hearing this was a literal punch in the gut.

***

Insurrectionists Base
Many years ago

"Are you CRAZY?!" I kind of yell as I slowly back away from the door towards one of the giant windows. I quickly check the progress of the Resistance opening the door. They were about halfway done with cutting through which is quite alarming when you're trapped in a room with only two options to choose from.

"Do you want to live or fight a bunch of soldiers and possible survive?" Church retorted.

"Ugh fine." I reluctantly put my away my sniper and kicked  out of of the large windows. Shards of glass flew everywhere. I take a peek down and see how high up we were.

"I think I'm going to be sick..." I whisper. I really hate heights, but if your life is on the line..

"WE ALMOST GOT IT. GET READY TO FIGHT SOLDIERS!!" I hear on the other side of the door.

Church starts the countdown. "Ready.."

The door is two feet away from breaking..

One foot...

"MARK!"

I sprint for the window and dived out of the building into a free-fall. I heard the doors burst open and the leader shouting out orders.

"Move out! Search every part of this room! Check for any clues about who infiltrated our base." He yelled.

Huh, so they don't know who infiltrated their base even after I left my Battle Rifle in the middle of the hallway. They're so smart..

Oh wait, I'm still falling to my death.

"CHURCHHH." I yelled as I start to panic.

"It's gonna be ok Alaska-" Church tries to soothe.

"DUDE, I'M FALLING TO MY DEATH!! HOW IS THAT OK?!"

 Church ignores my yelling and orders. "When I saw mark, I want you to teleport to these coordinates."

I calm down a little bit so that I can concentrate on getting these coordinates right. "Are you sure that I won't die from this?" I ask as I prepare my teleport enchantment.

"It's better than getting splat. Now get ready."

"I was born ready." I joked.

"Really? I haven't notice." He replies sarcastically.

"I'm still falling Chur-"

"Mark!"

I quickly activate my enchantment and a second later, I crash into a seat on a Pelican.

"What the-" I start, but I was interrupted by Church. Again.

"Tell the pilot 479er that the objective is secured and you can go home." He says in my mind.

I rolled my eyes and whisper back. "Right.." I walk to the cockpit area and see 479er at the controls. "Objective is secured. We can head back home."

She turns around in surprise. "I didn't expect you to come to me."

"Well, I had to.. improvise." I answered.

She just shrugs and turns back to the controls. "Like that's something new."

I smiled and took my seat in the co-pilot's chair. I adjusted the controls to my liking and radioed Command.

"Command, this is Agent Alaska. We are heading home."

~~~

"Sir, the mission was a success." I reported.

I was in the Director's office. Again. I a requirement now to report to him after every mission I go on and tell him how it went. This mission wasn't just about retrieving the stolen armor enhancements but it was also about how well did my equipment did in the field. In this case, the Active Camo.

"Indeed Alaska," The Director says, sitting at the holo table, looking over all the equipment. "And as your reward for this hard work, you get to choose any armor enchantment of your choice to keep.. which I know you already did."

I looked at the Director in surprise. How did he know that I took the Teleport enhancement? Church told me he deleted it from our files-

Wait.

OUR files.

He forgot to delete it from the main file. Good going Church, I could of gotten two enhancements.

"You can keep the Teleport. It doesn't need an A.I. to run it." The Director smiled.

I was relieved, but then confused. "Thank yo- wait.. what do you mean by that sir?"

"I'm sorry Agent Alaska, but your time with the Alpha is up."

My face turned from confusion to shock. My time with Church is up already? But we only just managed to go on a few missions together..

As I try to get my words together, an angry Church appears beside me. "How?! We make a great team! We are unstoppable! I actually found something that I feel like I would benefit the most from and now you are going to take it away from me."

"Sir, I have to agree with Church." I say after finding my voice. "We do make a good team and we complete our missions faster and better than the other Freelancers on this ship. We get instant results. Isn't that good for the Project?"

"Agent Alaska, what have I told you before?" The Director drilled.

I close my eyes and sigh. "That there are some things I need to trust you with even if I don't know what's going on."

"Do you trust me?"He pressed.

I look him straight in the eye. I respect him as my leader and boss. But I will NOT give up my partner that easily. "With all do respect sir, I do. But I won't give him up after all we went through together and how much potential we have as a team to get things done."

The Director leans back in his chair. "Then I have to do it the hard way.."

I hear the office door open behind me.

Then Church yelling at me to duck.

But his warning was too late.

I felt something hit me in the back of my head and everything went black.

[Edited]