Chapter 9

Secure Facility
Present Day

I pushed the thought of Wash being alive and focus again on the list.

"FILSS, pull up Agent Tex's status."

The screen changes again, now showing Tex's status.

Agent Texas
Status: KIA

"Well.. this is kind of awkward." A female black Spartan A.I. appears next to me. Her appearance very similar to Tex.

"Yea.. awkward.."

***

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My hand lazily hits the snooze button on my alarm clock. I stretched and sit up from my bed. It's been a couple of days since Wash has talked to me. Sure we had conversations about training and missions, but no conversations on anything else. I just went with the flow. I'm not sure why is he acting this way but sooner or later he'll be back to his own self..

Hopefully.

I get off my bed and see a sleeping York with a hand off the side of his bed. I just roll my eyes and wonder how he didn't hear my obnoxiously loud alarm. I quickly changed into my armor and quietly walked to the mess hall to get some grub before training.

~~~

"Next."

I stepped forward to get my breakfast from one of the chefs. I say thank you and walked towards the line of lunch tables filled with hungry Freelancers and soldiers eating their food or just catching up with their fellow comrades.

I scan the mess hall for a seat, hoping for a decent one where I can just chill and maybe catch up on some reading. Instead, I see Agent Texas sitting alone at the corner of a table, going through battle strategies.

Now most people don't like her, don't know her, or is just scared of her. Me on the other hand, I just want to know more about her.

I can feel some of the Freelancers and soldiers staring at me like I'm crazy as I walk over and sit across from the Black armored Agent.

"So, either you got the guts to sit in front of me or it was a dare." She says, not looking up from her work.

"Actually, I just want to get to know you." I reply to her comment. "Beating three Agents at once without fail is rare around here.. and thank you for saving my brother."

She looks up from her work and meets my gaze. "Um.. no problem."

I just nodded my head to her and quickly finished up my food.

"You seem different from the other Freelancers that I've met." She comments.

"What can I say? I'm one of a kind." I joked.

She laughs lightly before putting away her battle strategies and getting up from her seat. "Want to come and train with me?" She asks unexpectedly. "We can talk more openly there."

Well this is a slight turn in events but I agreed anyway. "Sure."

"Well let's go." She walks away, leaving me to quickly throw away my trash and follow her to the training room.

~~~

"Hey York, look who's sitting with Agent Texas." North tells York as he sits down at the table.

York turns to where North was directing his comment to and sees his sister sitting right across from the hardcore agent.

"She's going to get herself killed.." Wash mumbled as he was eating a banana inside his helmet.

"My sister/your love interest be fine, Wash." York says turning to face his buddies.

"Wh-What do you mean 'love interest'?" Wash asks, clearly trying to hide his feelings.

North just laughs while York rolls his eyes. "I've seen the way you look at my sister. I think you MAY have a chance with her after we win this war."

"You really think so?" Wash says excitedly.

York laughs as he watches his little sister follow Agent Texas to the training room. "We'll see Wash. We'll see."

~~~

"That's all you remember? Just one day you wake up in the Infirmary because the Director saved you from something horrible?" I ask, aiming my new BR at a nearby target. I shoot but miss the bullseye by 2 inches.

I slightly curse under my breath and began to adjust the aim on the BR for the fifth time.

"Unfortunately.." Tex walks over with two SMGs in her hands. "Try these. It could be useful for a mob of soldiers coming at you. Plus they don't jam as easily like some other gun you use."

"Oh, so you heard about that little incident I had during one of my solo missions." I take the SMGs from her and she takes my BR. "But thanks."

"FILSS, run a mob simulation." Tex orders as she walks off to the side.

"Certainly." FILSS replied. "Creating simulation."

Several holographic soldiers appear. I ready my new SMGs watching every move each soldier makes. Too bad Church isn't here to help out.

"Beginning simulation."

Soon the holographic soldiers come running at me, their fake guns blazing. I hid behind some fake cover before opening fire. The fake soldiers fell quickly to the rapid fire of bullets and soon every one of them were dead.

"I got to say.. " I say as I admire the amazing guns I was holding. "WHERE WAS THE SMG IN MY LIFE WHEN I NEEDED ONE?! It's like a freaken mini machine gun!" I laughed.

Tex laughs and walks back over to me. "That's what it is genius. So are you going to trade your BR for-"

"For this amazing gun? Heck yea." I clip the guns to my side which makes Tex laugh even more.

"I didn't expect you to be so out-going. I thought you would be like that Carolina girl." Tex says after regaining her breath.

"Well when you don't have to worry about being on the Leaderboard, it's kind of nice to just kick back and have a little fun." I tell her.

I take off my helmet so that she can see my face " And you're not so mean and tough like the others say you are. Just.. pretty chill."

"I'm flattered." Tex says dramatically which makes me laugh.

And this was the start of a beautiful friendship.

[Edited]