Chapter 8

Secured Facility
Present Day

"FILSS, do you have any information on all of the Freelancers? Like if they are alive or not?" I ask.

"Certainly." She replies and a list pops up on screen.

Agent Florida
Status: KIA

Agent Maine
Status: KIA

I re-read that part of the list again. The Agent Maine is DEAD? I wonder how many troops and ammunition had to take him down..

Agent Ohio
Status: MIA

Agent Idaho
Status: MIA

Agent Iowa
Status: MIA

Well at least the triplets are alive.. I hope.

Agent Georgia
Status: MIA

Agent South Dakota
Status: KIA

Low-key, I will miss South even though we never agree on anything.

Agent North Dakota
Status: KIA

High-key, I will miss North. Besides York, he was like my other older brother.

Speaking of brother, I made it York's status.

Agent New York
Status: KIA

KIA..

I don't know if I'm reading this list correctly anymore.

"FILSS.. i-is my brother really dead?" I hesitantly ask.

"I'm sorry Agent Alaska but your brother is.. dead." She responded sadly.

"How."

"He was shot by Agent Wyoming during a mission with Agent Texas."

"And is Wyoming still alive?"

"Wyoming died to a simulation trooper with an alien energy sword." FILSS replied.

At least my brother was avenged but not in a way I expected.

I keep scanning through the list until I find a certain name of a certain Freelancer I thought was dead.

Agent Carolina
Status: Active

Ok am I seriously reading this correctly?

"FILSS, pull up all other Freelancers that are active in the field." I ordered.

"Sure thing." The list condensed to three Freelancers:

Me, Carolina, and Washington.

My eyes lit up in shock as I read the last name.

Wash is alive?

~~~

Mother of Invention
Many years ago

I run through the halls of the ship trying to get to the training room. I just got word from FILSS that something went wrong in the training room while I was having a training session with the new equipment they just received.

It was a week after Church was, unfortunately, removed from my head. I woke up in the Recovery Room not able to remember what happened. To this day, I don't know what happened to him or who knocked me out. I'm determined to find out who did it but right now isn't the time.