2:55am, Sunday

-

Harry hadn't slept all night, so when he heard the front door being opened he tensed up.

He knew it was Liam, and he was debating on sitting up and turning the lamp on.

Instead he stayed still, listening to Liam come into the bedroom.

He felt him get into bed next, hearing him sigh.

Harry couldn't gather the nerve to speak to him, so there was nothing but silence until they both fell asleep.

The next morning, Liam decided to leave early for work, kissing Harry's cheek before he left.

Harry hadn't slept much, and decided to lay in bed a while after Liam left.

Of course, that didn't last long.

He heard the sound of little feet approaching the bedroom, expecting to see Niall come in.

But it was Zayn.

Harry watched him walk over and climb up into the bed.

"How'd you get out of your room?" Harry asked, praying to God Zayn hadn't done anything to Niall or Louis.

"It was unlocked." Zayn said, sitting down in Liam's side of the bed, facing Harry.

"Where are your brothers?"

Zayn shrugged. "Still asleep I guess."

Harry realized he must've left it unlocked by accident after he tucked Zayn in last night.

"Are you mad at me?" Zayn asked quietly, staring at Harry.

"No. But that doesn't mean what you did was okay. None of what you do to daddy, Niall, and Louis is okay." Harry said, staring back at him.

"But they bother me. Why do you have to love them too? Why can't it just be me?" Zayn asked.

"That's not how life works, Zayn. Imagine if you were the oldest or the youngest and Louis or Niall kept trying to hurt you. Imagine if they kept trying to find ways to get rid of you." Harry said.

"You need to understand that. I love them just as much as I love you. Why does it bother you that I love them too? Don't you want daddy to be happy? I'm happy if I can love my whole family equally and we all get along. I'm not happy now, Zayn." Harry said.

"Cos of me?"

"What you do, yes." Harry said.

"Like I said you need to learn that I love your papa and brothers too. It'll always be that way. We're a family, we all love each other."

Zayn's eyes darkened. "Maybe I don't want to be a family. I didn't ask for that. I want it to be me and you daddy. So we can always play together and draw together. Without interruptions."

"Life doesn't work like that, Zayn. That's just not how it is." Harry sighed.

"That's why I'm trying to change it. If they're dead then you can't love them." Zayn said.

Harry looked at him.

Zayn smiled the cutest little smile. "You'll only love me."

Harry kept staring at him, reality finally hitting him completely.

His son was seriously ill, and needed help.

No matter how bad it would hurt Harry knew what he had to do.

"Daddy?" Zayn frowned when tears started running down Harry's cheeks.

"Daddy what's wrong?" Zayn asked quickly, starting to cry too.

Harry wiped his own cheeks, taking a deep breath. "Nothing. Don't cry."

"But-"

"Come help me make breakfast. Okay? Just me and you."

Zayn nodded, reaching for Harry, who lifted him into his arms after he got out of bed.

"I love you daddy." Zayn said softly, hugging Harry's neck.

"I love you too, Zayn." Harry said, his heart breaking.

Still, he was making the call today, no matter what.

-
-

"Daddy stop!" Niall giggled, squealing as Harry blew another raspberry on his stomach.

"Hm?" Harry grinned, tickling him next.

Niall giggled even louder, trying to kick him away.

Harry leaned down and kissed one of his pink cheeks, kissing his nose as well before he let him go.

"Daddy come watch me practice." Louis said, coming downstairs with a ball.

"Sounds like a good idea. Let's go get some air." Harry said, standing up.

"I need it." Niall said, still trying to catch his breath.

Zayn was sitting in the corner, holding a few toys he'd been playing with when he stopped to glare at Harry giving Niall affection.

"C'mon Zayn." Harry said.

Zayn dropped his toys, getting up and trudging after them.

Harry sat on the back porch steps while Louis ran around the yard kicking the ball.

Niall tried to keep up with Louis, eventually giving up and going to look for bugs.

Zayn of course sat next to Harry, playing with one of his rings after he took it off of his finger.

"Daddy can I have this?" Zayn asked.

Harry looked down at him. "Why that one?"

"I like it the most. It looks the bestest on your hand."

"Well shouldn't it stay there?" Harry chuckled.

"No, I wanna keep it. It's a part of you." Zayn said quietly, holding the ring with both of his small hands.

"Sure, you can have it." Harry said casually.

He couldn't even remember where he got the ring.

"Really?" Zayn smiled up at him.

Harry was going to miss those eyes, and sweet little face.

"Yeah, course." He said, patting Zayn's shoulder.

Zayn slipped two fingers into the ring, beginning to play with it and gaze at it.

"Daddy I found a spider!" Niall called, running towards him with it in his hand.

"No, no no, put it back." Harry warned, quickly standing up.

"Why?" Niall frowned, stopping.

"D-Daddy doesn't like spiders."

"Why not? He's cute daddy."

"He's scared." Louis grinned, stopping.

"He's not scary daddy, look." Niall said, coming closer and trying to show him.

Harry backed away, and Zayn suddenly got up, walking over to Niall and smacking the spider out of his hand.

"Daddy doesn't like spiders, quit being dumb!" He snapped at his younger brother.

"I'm not dumb." Niall pouted, beginning to cry from how his hand was stinging.

"Zayn, no name calling." Harry scolded, coming down where they were.

"Daddy." Niall whined, reaching up for him.

"You're okay." Harry smiled, picking him up.

Zayn glared up at Niall, overflowing with jealously.

Harry sat back down with Niall in his lap, the two watching Louis go back to practicing.

Zayn stood there staring at it all, getting angrier by the second.

This just wasn't fair.