4.0

Tuesday, 2:09am

-

"You never told me you were rich." Ed yawned as they walked through Zayn's old neighborhood.

Both of them had fallen asleep on the bus, which they only got to ride on for free because they both fed the driver a bunch of lies and Ed faked some tears.

"This is it." Zayn smiled when they reached his house.

He noticed a different car in the driveway, wondering what happened to the old one.

"Wait," Ed said, stopping him before he could run up on the front porch.

"It's like two in the morning, Zayn."

"So?" Zayn scoffed, going up and ringing the doorbell.

"When he sees me it won't matter that it's two in the morning."

Ed didn't approve, but he also didn't say anything, waiting behind Zayn.

He rang the doorbell again, knocking as well this time.

Eventually the porch light was flicked on, and the door opened.

A man who Zayn didn't recognize stood there squinting at them, wearing a robe.

"Who are you two?" He asked.

Zayn frowned at him. "Who are you?"

"The man who lives here and is about to call the police." He replied.

"We'll leave." Ed said, quickly rushing down the steps.

But Zayn didn't move.

"How long have you lived here?"

"Long enough. You must have the wrong address."

"No, no I used to live here with my parents and brothers." Zayn continued to frown.

"Oh, was one Liam Payne?"

Zayn nodded.

"He's my boss. He and his family moved into that neighborhood across the train tracks that way." He pointed.

Zayn's heart dropped.

"Do you know the address?"

"No, but I can ask. You're his...son?" The man asked.

Zayn shook his head. "No. I'm nobody. Forget you saw me." He said before he turned and left.

"C'mon." Zayn said to Ed, quickly walking off down the street.

"Where are we going now?" Ed asked.

"A neighborhood across the train tracks this way." Zayn said in a dull tone, beginning to drag his feet.

"Oh, your family moved?"

"Yes, Ed." Zayn replied sharply.

"How are you going to find them in the new neighborhood?" Ed asked.

"We're going to wait near the front of the neighborhood. When I see Liam's car, we follow it and then we know what house it is." Zayn explained.

"So after you find out which house it is are you just going to go up and say hello?" Ed asked.

"No. Liam will call the police and try to get me sent back. Our first mission is to kill him." Zayn said.

"Our?" Ed echoed.

Zayn looked at him. "You giving up on me already?"

"I-I don't want to kill anyone." Ed stuttered.

"Then what good are you?" Zayn asked coldly.

Ed frowned slightly. "Well can't I still help without killing him?"

"Maybe." Zayn said quietly, thinking.

"Yeah, you can help. Just let me think up another plan."

-
-

On Wednesday night after working late, Liam was beyond happy to be leaving work and going home to his family.

A lot of the workers had left already, his office building a lot like a ghost town.

When he got out to his car and got in, he froze when the inside light was turned on.

"Hi papa." Zayn smirked after turning the light on.

Liam's heart dropped, and he couldn't move.

"H-How did you get out?" He asked, seeing someone in the backseat as well.

"Who is that?"

"A friend of mine. I got out because I'm not an idiot like you are. Leaving your trunk open. It's like you were asking for us to get in and follow you here." Zayn said.

"We waited all day for you. Thanks for being late." Ed chimed in.

Zayn chuckled some, and Liam swallowed.

"Zayn, listen-"

"No. Shut up!" Zayn spat. "You listen to me! What you did to me isn't okay! I didn't deserve to grow up in an asylum. The whole purpose of adopting a child is so they don't have to grow up alone. But that's just what you made sure I did. You locked me away, not giving a shit what happened to me."

"What I did was try to help you, Zayn. You don't understand." Liam said, keeping calm.

"Well, you failed. I went through hell every day for ten years all thanks to you." Zayn said coldly.

"I hope you don't think you're going to see the light of another day because you certainly don't deserve it you son of a bitch." He added, raising the gun and pressing it to his head.

"Zayn wait, don't do this." Liam said, trying to open the door.

But Zayn had locked them all.

"You can't tell me what to do anymore. And you know what else? You can't keep me from my daddy anymore." Zayn smiled, his adrenaline pumping.

It was finally happening.

He pulled the trigger just moments later, gasping at the splatter.

Ed started singing louder than ever to cope with his nerves, and Zayn began to laugh, watching the blood run down the window.

"I finally did it. I did it, Ed. I killed him. Look." Zayn said, feeling out of breath.

"I've been wanting to do this for years." Zayn said, beginning to tear up now.

"Can we go now?" Ed asked, overflowing with anxiety.

"Wait." Zayn said, taking Liam's wallet.

"This ought to get us a cab back home." Zayn smirked, looking through the cash.

"That card would get us a hotel room. And maybe some food?" Ed asked, leaning up and looking in the wallet.

Zayn smiled at him. "An even better idea."