Chapter 1:

I was stuck in yet another boring as a history class meeting. Amber was rattling on about how I needed to make sure that I kept my image clean and blah, blah, blah. I glanced out the window and saw the bright blue sky and the glowing sun and thought about all the other things I could be doing. I could be by my pool getting a nice glowing tan. I slumped further into the chair as Amber droned on. I’d have my three-month holiday to tan and relax but before that Amber was going to talk my ear off.

Amber was a thirty two year old, stick thin lady. Her black hair was always pulled back into a high ponytail and I don’t think I’d ever seen her in anything other than a skirt or pant suit. It was easy to say I disliked the woman. She was the one who was always nagging me to never smoke in the public eye. Or drink. Or dress inappropriately. I knew it was her job but sometimes it was very tempting to fire her. She was also known as my manager and apart from the nagging I liked her quite a bit. She organised my tour dates, album releases and interviews. Without her I’d be lost, which was why I resisted the temptation to fire her even though I wished Black Records had set me up with a nicer manager.

Bored, I dug a cigarette pack out of my bag, which was sitting on my lap. I poked it between my lips before finding my lighter and lighting it.

            “What do you think you’re doing?” Amber shrilled.

            “Smoking. We aren’t in the public eye,” I said like she should’ve already known with a tinge of sarcasm laced in my voice. Mocking Amber’s words.

            “But we are,” she said taking the cigarette out of my lips and putting it in my glass of water, “In a no-smoking building.”

            “You’re such a kill joy.”

            “That’s what you pay me to be,” Amber pointed out and I rolled my eyes. It was true. I just didn’t like to be reminded of that. It was easier to think she was a nag.

            “Are you done yet?”

            “No!” she said with wide exasperated eyes that begged me to listen to her. A losing battle on her side. “Tomorrow you’re on Good Morning America with One Direction. Your flight for New York leaves in four hours. Your suitcases are already on your jet. Now do you want to drive yourself?”

            “No. I don’t like leaving my car at the airport.”

            “Okay so the limo will come past your apartment at three thirty to pick you up. Be ready.”

            “Do I ever disappoint you?” I asked. No matter how much attitude I give Amber I always listen to her and she can’t deny me that. I think that’s the only reason why she’s put up with me the past three years.

            “No. Not in that respect. You just have an attitude problem and you’re a brat.”

            “See you at four thirty,” I said purposely getting the time wrong to piss off Amber as I stood up. I started walking out as Amber said, “Three thirty! You need to be ready at three thirty!” then, “What am I going to do with that girl?”

I smiled to myself as I walked to my car. It was a nice car, well it should be since I paid over a hundred grand for it but it was just a car. Nothing to get excited about. It was white, it had four wheels and it worked. It served its purpose.

Getting into the car I drove to my home. This one was the lavish one. It was very big with a very open living plan and I hated this home. That home was where I held parties, it was more of my social home. If I wanted people over, which was rare, this was the home I’d invite them to.