Chapter 17:

11:11, shooting stars, dandelions, birthday candles, wish bones, wishing wells, eyelashes, the first star, lady bugs. Have you ever been so happy that you wished things would stay the same? Because I was wishing with everything I had in me. I was wishing that things would stay exactly the way they were because things the way they were was great and happy and marvellous and simple and easy and effortless and beautiful and fun and carefree.

Liam and I had been ‘seeing’ each other for a little over a week and it was the most fun I’d had in years. We’d sneak out of the house and go for drives to anywhere. We’d stop at rest stops just to make out. We’d stop at large fields and run across them without a care in the world. We’d find watering holes and go for a skinny dip. At dinner we’d excuse ourselves and go outside and I’d see Jane and Peter smile at each other knowingly and Peter would tell Jane that we’re the lucky ones and for a while we were.

In that week and a bit I learnt more about Liam then I knew about Beth in my whole five years of knowing her. We talked about everything from hopes and dreams to crazy multiverse theories to telling riddles like ‘how many seconds in a year?’ (There are twelve (January 2nd, February 2nd, March 2nd and etc)). We could talk for hours on end about anything. We had an hour conversation about Harry Potter. I mean how many people can you have a one hour conversation about Harry Potter with? After I finish all the books Liam and I are going to have a competition to see how many spells we can get. Whoever gets the most wins a hundred bucks so I really need to finish the series soon and I was so going to win. I texted Hope and she’s a Harry Potter freak so she said she’d help me study for it. I was taking this more seriously than any exam I’d ever taken in school and that was saying something. I was a bit of a nerd when it came to school.

Liam made the little things matter and when the little things matter it just makes you euphoric. I was happy that the sky was blue. I was happy that flowers bloomed. I was happy that ice cream existed. I was just happy about everything. Happy, happy, happy.

            “Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking. Prepare for landing. Please take your seats and fasten your seatbelts. We will be starting the descent.”

I looked over at Liam and noticed he didn’t have his seat belt on. I was going to nudge him but he looked so adorable sleeping so I just leaned over and buckled his seat belt instead but the plane shook and my hair fell into Liam’s face.

            “Hmm, what’s going on?” Liam asked as I sat back into my seat.

            “The plane’s landing. I was just buckling your seat belt.” I rested my head on his shoulder and in turn he rested his head against mine and interlocked our hands. Whenever we held hands Liam rubbed circles with his thumb onto my hand and I loved it.

            “You know, for a badass you’re pretty sweet sometimes,” Liam said and I smiled and raised an eyebrow.

            “You think I’m a badass?”

            “Umm, did you forget how you were like before we went to Littleton?”

            “I was like an angel,” I told him and he chuckled.

            “Sure you were,” he said and he kissed the top of my head and I rolled my eyes.

            “So I was thinking,” I started.

            “Yes…”

            “That, we should have a sleepover,” I said wagging my eyebrows. Liam raised an eyebrow and half smirked.