Chapter 26:

I ignored the writing and lit the cigarette. I had made my choice. With the burning cigarette in my hand I watched as the wind slowly distorted the writing until it was a jumble of unreadable fluff. Once I finished my cigarette I grabbed the towel and continued to finish my packing.

I finished packing two hours before my flight was about to take off but it was my private jet so technically it wouldn’t be going anywhere until I got there. I took one last look at the cabin before putting my black framed, Tiffany & Co sunglasses on and grabbing the handles of the two suitcases. I walked out of the cabin and locked up before heading down the pier where the suitcases made annoying noises and jumped because of the small gaps between the planks of wood.

I walked all the way down to the receptionist desk so I could check-out and once I had I continued walking to where I had a car waiting for me. The car drove me away from the resort where so much had happened. Where I had fallen in love with the most kindest and greatest man. Where I had laughed and swam with the fish. Where I became myself again. Where I learnt about sacrifice and loss. Where I learnt what heartache was.

            “Did you have a good holiday Miss Daniels?” the driver asked and I smiled and remembering Liam and the good times, I nodded.

            “I don’t think there will be another quite like it.”

            “Me and my wife, we try to go on a holiday every year and there’s nothing like going on a holiday with people you love. Last year we went to Italy for our twentieth anniversary.”

            “That’s lovely,” I said and then a sudden sadness over took me as quickly as it took to pop a bubble. Liam and I would never get a twentieth anniversary. We’d never get any kind of anniversary. I sighed and looked out the window. Once I arrived at the airport I went straight to the check in so my suitcases could be taken to the plane.

            “Passport and ticket please,” the lady asked. She had her blonde hair in a perfect low bun, no strand of hair was out of place and her black blazer and skirt were immaculate. There was not one speck of dust and her name badge had a certain gleam to it. I nodded and gave her the ready passport and ticket that was in my hand.

            “You’re Daisy Daniels?” the lady asked with her fair eyebrows raised.

            “Yep.”

The lady shuffled some things around her desk for a few moments muttering about trying to find something and I looked at her annoyed. I just wanted to move past check-in so I could go through customs and then onto my plane. I just wanted to get the hell away from this place. Away from the memories.

            “Ah, here,” the lady said holding what looked like an envelope. “A guy was here this morning and said you might come through and that if you did to give this to you. He looked as though he wished you wouldn’t be here though.”

I grabbed the envelope and turned it over. ‘Daisy Daniels’ was written on the front in neat writing that I didn’t recognise but I had a feeling who the envelope was from. The envelope was thin, probably only a page was in it but I worried about what was on that page. Would it break my already broken heart? Would it be filled with anger? Please let it be an angry letter. I didn’t think I could handle it if the letter was all sappy and romancy. Would the letter aim to hurt me? Would the letter be a goodbye?

            “You can go through now,” the lady said and I stuffed the envelope into the pocket of my jeans.

Once I was on the plane I took out the envelope and placed it onto the table in front of me. Just read it, I told myself. But I couldn’t bring myself to read it. I just couldn’t.