Chapter 21:

I ran back to the table with shaking hands. I tried to control them as I fiddled with my bag. I felt Liam look at me worriedly but the others were laughing too hard to notice my distressed state.

            “Baby, what’s wrong?”

I gave up on trying to put my phone in the little black bag I had brought.

            “I need to get to Littleton,” I said distractedly, “I’ll be back within the week.”

            “What’s going on? Is Noah okay?” Liam asked and I loved him for caring.

            “I’ll call you as soon as I can to explain but right now I don’t have time. Love you,” I pecked his lips and said a hurried bye to everyone before running towards the entrance of the resort so I could catch a cab.

Once I was seated on the plane I checked my phone. Liam had left me a bunch of text messages asking what had happened and if he should also come to Littleton. I smiled and texted him to stay put and that everything was fine, no one was hurt.

I switched my phone to airplane mode and then put my earphones in and listened to some music to help calm me down. I ended up replaying how I left Liam and then my eyes flew open. I said to Liam ‘Love you’. I told Liam I loved him. It just slipped right out of my mouth like wet soap down a slippery dip. I didn’t even realise I loved him let alone realised long enough to be ready to tell him. Apparently my subconscious knew me better than I did because on that flight I sat on my seat and listened to music and thought. I thought about Liam and I asked myself questions about Liam.

Would you care if Liam died?

Well duh. I love him.

How would you feel if Liam hurt you?

Liam wouldn’t hurt me. I think Liam is the one person on this planet who wouldn’t hurt me and if he did … I guess I’d hate him because I’d still love him but I wouldn’t want to.

What would you do for Liam?

Anything and everything.

And the whole plane ride went along those lines and in most of those answers the phrase ‘because I love him’ was a common answer.

So in the several hours that it took to land in Littleton I came to an important self-realisation. I loved Liam Payne.

I went through baggage claim and then looked around the airport looking for Jane. She said she’d be waiting with Noah. I was eager to see him, it had only been a couple of weeks and I spoke to him often over the phone but I already missed him.

Suddenly little arms wrapped around my waist and I smiled.

            “I wonder who this is?” I said out loud in a teasing voice. I turned around and smiled at my little brother. He looked much better than the last time. He still had the cast on his leg but the swelling on his face had disappeared and the bruises were almost completely faded.

            “Hi Daisy,” He said as he squished my waist and I laughed and hugged him back.

            “Hi Noah. How have you been?” I said taking a step back and bending down so I was eye level with him.

            “Great. Living with Jane and Peter is so much fun! Jane bakes cookies every Friday and she says we aren’t supposed to eat them but Dean, James and I always sneak a few upstairs and on Wednesday we play soccer with some other boys on the street! And Jane and Peter said that in a few weeks we might go to Disneyland!”