Chapter 23:

The sun was burning onto my face and I closed my eyes as I lay still. I could hear Beth breathing beside me and I turned my head to face her. We were on my balcony sun tanning and I just couldn’t stop thinking.

Beth was always there for me no matter how badly I treated her. She stuck with me as though I was family not a friend. And we were family. She was the sister I’d never had but I think there was this part of me that always expected her to get up and leave. I wasn’t much to stick around for.

“Beth?”

            “Hmm?”

            “Thank you.”

            “For what?”

            “For being you. Not a lot of people would put up with me and I love you for putting up with me.”

            “Oh my, God!” she gasped, “Someone get a camera and start recording! Daisy Daniels is actually having a genuine moment!”

            “Ha ha.”

            “Oh, I’m just joking,” she waved off. “And of course I put up with you. You’re like the sister I never had.”

            “You too. Wanna move to a private island with me?”

Beth propped herself up on her elbows and raised her eyebrows at me. “Want to elaborate? Since when do you own a private island?”

            “I don’t but I will. I’m done.”

            “You’re done?”

            “With everything. With the fame, the stupid singing, the pointless relationships. I’m done.”

            “You’re done,” Beth murmured. “I never thought this day would come, when you were actually going to quit and run away.”

            “I’m not running-”

            “Yes you are! Don’t kid yourself! You’re running. Now I don’t know why because you won’t let me in but that’s okay, you will eventually. When you’re ready but you can’t just run away! I talked to Liam. You didn’t even give him a reason! Daisy I thought you were better than that and now you’re running away. You were a lot of things but I never once considered you a coward. Well until now anyways.”

            “Beth,” I sighed and she just shook her head and closed her eyes. The discussion was over.

.

I was at the club as usual and it was the same thing over and over again. The alcohol scorched throats and made people extremely happy. Guys and girls groped and hooked-up with each other on the dance floor. Groups of friends did shots at the bars. The music beated so loud it was a wonder that I didn’t have a headache. The lights flashed and spun green, pink and white making everything look like a fast forward dream. I sat at the bar by myself just watching. I didn’t feel like doing anything else. It was like I was there but I wasn’t there.

It was just after midnight and I really just wanted to go to sleep. The day had been crap, clouds had rolled over the resort in the afternoon and the bartender said that there were a few days in the summer when the clouds would roll in and shower the place. He said it might rain tomorrow. Perfect for me. I could just stay in bed and listen to the rain all day.

            “Give me a shot of Tequila,” I ordered when the bartender came around. He nodded and placed the glass in front of me. He filled it up with tequila. I picked up the shot glass and tipped it slightly to the bartender.