Chapter 22:

I was on the plane on the way back to Tahiti. I stared out the window. I was hundreds of feet above a patchy layer of clouds and I was thousands of feet above the water that looked so calm and tranquil however in reality the water was probably swirling in great big waves but from afar, up above the clouds, it looked flat and blue like an endless diamond. The plane was private so I was the only passenger and being alone helped me. It always had. I had always done well on my own.

My hair was tied up in a fat bun and I was wearing a thin sloppy joe with a pair of shorts. The bandage on my leg made it impossible to wear anything longer than shorts. I would have to buy some dresses for Tahiti. I rested my head on the window and closed my eyes. My head was pounding like a siren. It was loud and flashing thoughts faster than flicking through channels.

The doctor’s words still boomed around in my brain like sirens. There was no use trying to sleep. My brain was too loud. The words were haunting me. Everything was fine until it wasn’t. The doctor, I think his name was Doctor Benson, had told me that I was very lucky because I only needed ten stitches on down my thigh. Apparently the damage was very minimal for the type of accident we had. David was in a coma but I copped no impact. I didn’t feel lucky though.

My body was aching. I may have not had any internal damage but I was bruised everywhere. I had four stitches on my hairline and ten on my right thigh. It hurt to walk and the doctor had allowed me to take crutches. So basically my head was being pounded by a jackhammer, my stomach and back were going through a meat grinder and I walked like a snail.

The big and great Daisy Daniels had the physical energy of a ninety-year-old woman.

I had to delay my flight a few days and Liam’s phone calls had been driving me up the wall because I wanted so bad to answer the phone and talk to him because he could make me feel better. That was just the effect Liam had on me, but I couldn’t answer because…I just couldn’t. I didn’t even call Jane. I’d been alone those last couple of days. But I didn’t really want to talk to anyone not after what Doctor Scott told me. Not after what Doctor Scott told me. I just wanted to bury myself.

Liam wouldn’t understand but I couldn’t stay with him. Not after this. I would be ruining his chances. His future. His dreams, his personal dreams would be affected and I couldn’t do that to him. He deserved a happy future and I couldn’t give that to him. I loved him and I couldn’t give him the future he wanted. The circumstances of the situation made me want to laugh. For the first time ever, I was happy and things were going well but I should’ve known better.

For some reason this was a world where I couldn’t be with the people I love. I couldn’t stay with Noah and be the sister he needed and now I couldn’t stay with Liam because I couldn’t give him the life he wanted and deserved. My life was just one big joke.

.

The first thing I did when I got off that plane was go to a liquor store and buy two bottles of Vodka and one of Tequila. I planned on getting very, very drunk. Screw pain meds, alcohol had always been my best friend for pain and right now I needed a drink. In fact, I needed multiple drinks. I needed multiple bottles of drinks. I just wanted to forget for a few hours.

            “What does the famous, rich Daisy Daniels need three bottles of alcohol for?” the cashier asked and I was wearing glasses so she couldn’t see the judgy look my eyes gave her.

            “Firstly, you need to attend school, that sentence should have said ‘Why does the famous, rich Daisy Daniels need three bottles of alcohol for?’ Secondly, it is none of your damned business but I’ll let you in on a huge humongous secret,” I said leaning closer. I gestured her to come closer and I could see that her eyebrows needed to be waxed badly. She leaned closer. “Money and fame doesn’t buy happiness. It buys lonely days and depressing choices that get even more depressing when you read about them in stupid magazines. And thirdly, go get your damn eyebrows waxed. The look like a baby tiger mistook them for a bush.”