Chapter 5:

In the morning when I woke up I remembered Beth saying something about massages and knowing a massage would do me good I got ready and knocked on Beth’s door.

She opened with a white sheet around her body instead of clothes.

            “You and Jason had fun then?” I asked raising an eyebrow.

            “Yeah,” she admitted with a blush. “Why are you here?”

            “Massages, you said you booked one yesterday for us…”

            “Oh right, um, can we reschedule? Jason is sore from the plane ride and I thought he could use a massage,” Beth said.

            “The plane ride isn’t all he’s sore from,” I muttered.

            “Are you angry?” Beth asked worriedly. “I can always go again with Jason tomorrow.”

            “No, no don’t worry about it. I’ll find something to do,” I muttered. “Have fun.”

            “Daisy,” she said unsurely and I put on a fake smile. It was funny how naturally it came to me but it made sense that it did. I’d been doing it my whole life.

            “I’m fine. I didn’t want to go for a stupid massage anyway. You go have fun with Jason.”

            “You’re the best,” she squealed. “Thank you!”

I said bye and she closed the door and I sighed. There goes the massage that was meant to do me good. Nevertheless I walked down the pier towards the lobby. I walked up to the receptionist desk and snapped my fingers at the lady.

            “Hey, hi,” I said. “Does this resort have like a pub or something?”

            “There’s a bar and grill down at Pier One.”

            “Great, that means I have to walk,” I muttered.

I walked away and started trekking towards Pier one which was right on the other end of the resort. The sun was beating down on my back and I was starting to heat up. So I placed my bag on the floor and pulled my shirt off so I was just in shorts and my bikini. I shoved my shirt into my bag and tied up my hair into a low bun.

I finally made it to the bar and grill and took a seat at the bar.

            “What can I get you?”

            “I’ll have a shot of vodka. Make it two,” I said and I slumped across the bar. The bartender had two shots of vodka on the table in a matter of seconds and I downed them easily. “Another two.”

The bartender didn’t say anything and refilled my shot glasses. I downed them as easily as the first two and sighed.

            “You know, I can afford all this nice stuff and people wish they were me but I hate my life,” I said to the bartender. “Give me another two, wait can you just give me the bottle?”

            “Go for it,” he said and handed me a bottle.

I took a swig and looked at the pitied look the bartender gave me. “You probably don’t see a lot of people like me and you’re probably thinking what does she have to whine about? The famous, desirable Daisy Daniels. The person everyone wants to be. Biggest joke I’ve heard of. My life is miserable.”

            “Being famous wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be?” the bartender asked me.

            “I didn’t want it in the first place,” I said and I took another swig of vodka. “My parents forced me to. They said either start making something of your life or get gone. And I would’ve gone if it wasn’t for Noah.”