Chapter 25:

Two days later I bumped into Liam at the dining hall. We didn’t speak because I didn’t give him the chance but his gaze might as well have sizzled a hole into me. I just wanted to go over and hold his hand but I couldn’t. What would I say? So I walked out leaving my barely touched food on the table and went to talk to Beth.

            “You want to leave?” Beth screeched.

            “Yes. Tomorrow. I’m getting on a plane and leaving. It’s too hard here.”

            “You’re running away and you know it,” Beth said following me as I dragged my suitcase from the corner of the cabin to my bed. “You wouldn’t be running away if you weren’t scared. So what are you scared of?”

            “Beth,” I sighed exasperatedly, “We’ve been through this. I can’t give Liam the life he wants.”

            “But he said he still wants you anyways and I was in that dining hall this morning. I saw the sad eyes he was giving you.”

            “You mean the holes he burnt into my skin?”

            “It’s romantic.”

            “It makes me want to do stuff I’m trying not to do.”

            “Like kiss him?” Beth suggested innocently and I glared at her. “What?” she said. “I know you want to. Your lips are practically begging. ‘Give me Liam’ I hear them screaming, ‘we miss Liam’.”

            “What are you on?” I asked with a bewildered look.

            “Just go talk to him. Come on. I’m still rooting for you guys.”

            “I’m leaving tomorrow.”

            “Urgh. You suck and I hate you.”

            “Love you too.”

That afternoon I was packing all my clothes. I was trying to shove all my clothes back into my suitcase but it seemed impossible but what came out of the suitcase must go back in. I was determined to fit everything. I rolled up tops and pants so they would take up less room. I vacuum packed shoes and I left anything I had lost affection for like the weird swimming costume Beth had forced me to buy at one of the stores at the resort.

I just wanted to leave. I was sick of seeing Liam everyday and it wasn’t because I was mad at him. I just couldn’t stand to see him when I couldn’t have him and I knew that it was my choice. I could knock on Liam’s door and he’d take me back as quickly as I could snap my fingers. But that wasn’t what I wanted. I needed Liam to be happy and if that meant sacrificing my own happiness then so be it. I would do it because Liam deserved to have kids that he could call his own.

I was having trouble zipping up the black suitcase that was already full. I kept pressing the lid down but it was no use, it didn’t want to close. I groaned loudly and hit the suitcase with an angry fist. A knock on the door sounded and I sighed. I left the suitcase and started talking thinking it was Beth.

            “I don’t even know how many things I accumulated over these past three months, my damn suitcase won’t close and I still haven’t packed even half my things,” I started shouting as I walked over to open the door. When I did open the door however it wasn’t Beth but Hope. Her hair was in a wet, high ponytail and her clothes had wet patches where her bikini was underneath.

            “Suitcase?” Hope asked with a surprised expression and I swallowed hard as I rubbed my arm and avoided her gaze. “You’re leaving. Does Liam know?”